Keto Diet: we’ve all heard of it, but what is it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

For the past few months it seems that all of social media is buzzing with the “keto diet”. Influencers from across the spectrum seem to be talking about this new diet, or should I say new lifestyle.

But what exactly is keto and how is it different from every other diet that we are constantly being targeted to do?

“Keto” refers to ketosis, ketosis is is the metabolic process that your body starts going through once you change your diet from a high-carb, low-fat diet to a high fat and protein based diet.

Your body begins to adapt itself to this new way of consumption and begins to convert the fat and protein into ketones for energy, and burns the fat as well.

There are several benefits to being on a low-carb, high-fat diet but the most sought out one is the weight loss. Fat contains more calories than carbs so you can eat less food everyday. Other benefits are reduced blood sugar and insulin resistance, reduced triglyceride levels and blood pressure, and improves brain function.

When you are first starting out the keto diet it is important to do some research beforehand, there are a ton of books, blogs, youtube channels and instagram pages out there that are keto focused.

It is mentioned to be aware of what you are getting yourself into and understand that there will be a lot of sacrifices and your body needs time to get used to changing its lifestyle that it has been used to for the past 20+ years. It is never easy starting a new diet or getting out of your comfort zone.  

The keyword in the keto diet is fat, but what exactly is fat? Many people associate the diet to just eating bacon and pork rinds but that is the exact opposite. It is about eating healthy fats such as avocados, cheese, eggs, nuts etc.

The goal is to have a daily carb intake of 20 grams but if it can be reduced to less that’s even better. Keto isnt only about looking at the carbs but also keeping track of calories being consumed.

It isnt an easy lifestyle, it definitely requires motivation, holding yourself accountable and having support.

Hi loves! My name is Juanita Cardona, I am a sophomore at FIU majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications (PRAAC). I was born in Colombia and have a passion for traveling. I love experiencing new cultures, especially their food. Off of that Im a big foodie and love to try out new places to eat, but my favorite food is definitely sushi. I enjoy writing on women's issues and being a voice for the minorities. I hope to continue to write and grow as a writer in general.