Keeping Off Your Freshman 15: The Top 5 Healthiest Choices at FIU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Walking around campus, many of us girls are tempted to eat a pastelito from Cafe Bustelo,  the crack cookies at Breezeway, or even a full on feast at Fresh Foods. Eating healthy on campus may seem close to impossible but Her Campus contributers have rounded up the top five healthiest options to help keep off those freshman 15. 

1. Salad Creations:

Ah…the sound of salads may sound boring right? Well not here! At Salad Creations you are able to create your own salad, wraps and panini! They always have the freshest ingredients and the most flavorful veggies too. You’ll never be bored of salads anymore once you watch these Chefs create your salad like the masterpiece that it is!

2. Wednesday’s Fresh Farmers Market:    

This hidden gem only comes to campus every Wednesday and is located behind GL, in front of the fountain. It’s always fun at a farmers market, here you will find plenty of  vegetarian and vegan foods. They also create raw drinks on site. Make sure to stop by and check them out, you definitely can’t miss them.

3.  Pollo Tropical: 

It’s at the center of it all in GC and always has the longest line of freshman 15 victims. Instead of drenching your TropiChop in curry sauce, and pairing it with deep fried yuca bites, consider topping it with grilled veggies and a side of Caesar salad WITHOUT the Caesar dressing. 

4.  Sushi Maki: 

For you Asian cuisine lovers out there, ordering fried rice with crispy honey chicken is not always the best option. Sushi Maki also provides an abundance of choices with their sushi and specialty salads.

5.  Einstein Bros Bagels:

Being college students, we always tend to crave sugary snacks when its time to hit the books. Instead of that cream cheese covered bagel, try snacking on a whole-wheat bagel with a cup of fruit on the side and some warm green tea!

The Freshman 15 is every college girls nightmare. Especially when you are trying to maintain your Miami bikini figure all year round. Next time you’re craving fatty foods, keep our top five suggestions in mind. 

Do you have any suggestions for healthier options? Email our campus contributors  laurahernandez@hercampus.com or christycalvo@hercampus.com and let them know!

Laura Hernandez is the founder of Her Campus FIU.  She is currently a junior and is majoring in Political Science, Women's Studies and International Relations. She is also passionate about writing and communications. Laura thinks that Her Campus FIU is the perfect way to connect with collegiettes at FIU's commuter campus.