This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Rumors have been circulating everywhere about the murder of Saudi Arabian journalist and Washington Post columnist, Jamal Khashoggi, for some time now. Saudi Arabia confirmed that the missing journalist was in fact killed during an apparent “fistfight”, but the story has shifted once again.

You’re probably wondering what was Khashoggi doing or caught up in that could have led to his death? Khashoggi was frequently critical of Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman, as well as, the Saudi government. His death could be a result of his unfavorable work for the global opinion section of The Washington Post. Khashoggi first went missing on October 2nd, when he entered a consulate in Istanbul with intentions of obtaining obligatory documents to marry his Turkish wife.

This case is and has been skeptical from the start due to the fact that Saudi Arabia continued to change the navigation of events that took place. Saudi officials claimed that Khashoggi’s death was merely an accident. NBC news reported that on October 25th, after weeks of speculations and lies, Saudi Arabia’s attorney general shared that evidence shows that Jamal Khashoggi’s murder was premeditated.

With Saudi Arabia finally admitting what is hopefully the truth, the next question that arises is “who pre-arranged the murder of Khashoggi?” Sources believe that the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has everything to do with the incident. According to United States, intelligence intercepts and The Washington Post, the Crown Prince had intentions of “silencing” Khashoggi for repeatedly criticizing his actions.

As of now, eighteen people are under investigation on the charge of “intentional homicide with premeditation”. There is also reported evidence which includes an audiotape of Khashoggi’s murder and dismemberment. Investigations are underway for the murder and hopefully investigators can uncover what really occurred on October 2nd. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/middleeast/saudi-turkey-khashoggi-investigation-intl/index.html

To view the timeline of events that took place & more background on the story visit:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45812399