mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Japanese Women Cannot See Without Glasses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Every morning, the first thing I reach for is my glasses. Without them, my vision is completely blurred, and I cannot differentiate between my toothpaste or moisturizer (yes, my vision is this bad). I could never imagine living without my glasses or conducting my daily responsibilities because they are a huge part of my identity and give me the ability to connect with the world. I completely recognize the privilege granted to me of having devices at my disposal that allows me to see properly, however in recent news, Japanese women have not been given this basic necessity. 

Earlier in November, news began circulating of Japanese women fighting for the right to wear eyeglasses to work, a new front in the growing movement that demands an end to the demanding beauty standards faced by female employees. The hashtag #メガネ禁止  (#GlassesBan) was trending on Twitter following the airing of Japan’s Nippon TV program which explored how Japanese companies in different sectors instructed their female employers not to wear glasses and required them to wear contact lenses. Male employees were excluded from these policies.

During the Japanese network Nippon TV segment, employers cited “reasons” why anti-glasses policies were necessary for their workplaces. In some retail outlets, managers said that glasses give a “cold impression” to saleswomen. Airline managers claimed that wearing glasses could impede workers’ ability to see properly and be of safety concerns. Restaurateurs suggested glasses clashed with traditional outfits, like kimonos, that employees are required to wear on the job, and employers in the beauty sector argued customers would not be able to see female worker’s makeup clearly enough beneath glasses.

Anger in Japan surfaced after the airing of this program and many women went to social media to express their dismay. The hashtag “glasses ban” has gained increasing momentum – with one woman saying she was forced to put lenses in when she had an eye infection and subsequently suffered pain and discomfort. Another user said “I can’t live without glasses,” posted blurry photos and added, “That’s why people with bad eyes always have this vision when they are [not wearing glasses],” according to a translation.

(Source: Twitter)

The ban on glasses isn’t the first dress code policy that has emerged to control women’s appearance. In June, more than 20,000 women signed an online petition protesting the social expectation that Japanese women should wear high heels in the workplace. That movement picked up steam under the hashtag #KuToo — a play on the US-based #MeToo movement and the Japanese words for shoe, “kutsu,” and pain, “kutsū.”

While it might be difficult to shift longstanding cultural attitudes about beauty and presentation in the short term, by standing together and continuously fighting against the patriarchy, Japanese women can make a difference to shed light on the outdated and oppressive beauty standards that undermine their capabilities.

Lidia (She/Her) is a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. When she is not petting dogs on the sidewalk or re-watching Harry Potter, she is scribbling away on any surface she can find. Lidia is passionate about writing critical and culturally relevant content.