jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Totally Fine to be Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Don’t worry people, the 2 for $20 at Chili’s isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. You have a lifetime to be in a relationship, but only a few years to get the ultimate college experience. It’s absolutely okay to be single while in college, and it actually could be more beneficial to your identity and growth as a person.

College is best described as being the most selfish years of your life. It’s the time where you figure yourself out and grow into the person you are meant to become. Here are a couple of reasons being single in college is great!

1.) You can travel the world. With friends. Or study abroad (this is like a college must-do).

• Take this time to do a semester abroad and explore a piece of the world. Traveling can open up your soul and have you coming back home an entirely new version of yourself. Being single can mean more time for yourself, more money for yourself; therefore, funds for traveling. There will never be a time better than college for traveling and studying abroad. If you never study abroad, you’ll probably end up regretting it.

2.) Graduate school life

• A lot of people start college with the hopes of getting into graduate school. Odds are, your dream graduate school is in another state, sometimes in another country. Long distance relationships are often hard and it makes the idea of graduate school more difficult to make. The actual graduate school life is also very time consuming and stressful (then imagine a relationship on top of it). The best way to go through college, as an undergrad and graduate student, is single. For the sake of your diploma (and possibly your sanity) of course.

This is not to say that if you find Mr. Right or Mrs. Right that you should press the pause button and tell them to return to you when you have a diploma in your hand. But this is just to tell you that it’s okay if you’re single during college. There’s so much to experience during these years; from going Greek to studying abroad to finding internships to meeting new people and figuring out your future. Be selfish, be a free spirit, have fun, and learn to love who you are before you start loving someone else. Be okay with being single and be happy with yourself. No one can make you happier than YOU!

Addicted to iced coffee, Grey's Anatomy is a lifestyle not a hobby, and I consider myself a concert enthusiast.