This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Are you new to a movie franchise? Don’t worry, there are ways to get introduced to your new community. It’s important to know where to start when you have a newfound love for a franchise that has a big community. Luckily, one can start off simple.

Ask!

It doesn’t hurt to talk to the people who are a part of the community. They can give your insight on the franchise film or the video game franchise. They can help guide you, so you can start off your journey correctly. For instance, certain people have now wanted to be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe since watching “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” which could lead them into also joining Sony’s Spider-Man Universe that is currently developing. One could ask them if they want to watch the former iterations of Spider-Man movies that have Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. They can help you decide if you want to go straight into Tom Holland’s Spider-Man trilogy or dive into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with “Iron Man.” Remember there’s probably someone you know that will be more than happy to introduce you into the franchise, whether it would be with introducing the lore of it or telling you which movies to start with. 

Look things up!

Social media opens the door for you to look up people or videos that talk about the franchise you want to get into. If you’re unsure who’s a fan of the franchise, you can ask via polls on social media. When you find who is, you can ask them for suggestions on what to do or where to start. You can watch YouTube videos of people discussing the franchise, and it can help you understand it and enjoy it more. Twitter, Instagram and TikTok can help you find a community of people who share the same passion as you for the franchise.

Being a new fan to a franchise can be intimidating, but it’s a thrilling experience. You also don’t have to experience it alone. You can surround yourself with fans to help you get into the spirit of things. It’s a fun ride, enjoy it!

Chelsea Alexandra Marino is a senior at Florida International University, majoring in journalism. She is also pursuing a certificate in music business. Her passions include music, soccer, video games, and Marvel movies.