Aubree Brabham?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Aubree Brabham?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

The Importance of Voting in the Upcoming Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In any election year, you’re always going to hear, “it’s important to vote!” But this being not just an election year, but a year with a global pandemic, nationwide discontent, protests, and chaos… everything is on the line. 

The biggest misconception is that your vote doesn’t matter because of the Electoral College system, but that’s not necessarily true. Take into consideration some of the closest presidential races in our history: In the infamous Bush V. Gore election, George W. Bush won the election by such a small percent of the popular vote that it led the election to a recount. Bush had won Florida by such a tiny margin of votes that if voters had shown up for Gore in Florida, the election results would have essentially been different. In 2016, the election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump was a close one that reflected the prominence of the electoral college. Trump’s electoral win was brought by securing the vote of the electoral college. He won due to the high turnout of voters for Trump in essential swing states, which affects the votes going towards the electoral college. Although Clinton won the popular vote by three million votes, it did not target the electoral college. 

The key thing to keep in mind in evaluating the impact of your vote is knowing that while your vote may not directly elect the president, a big turn out in unanimous votes can sway the direction of the electoral college. This election is so important for everyone to participate in because we are currently facing a big nationwide divide. For your voice to be heard, voters need to show up in numbers. 

Starting in elementary school, we are taught the pledge of allegiance and as we grow up we are taught that voting is our civic duty. Voting is one of the most important and effective ways to be a part of the decision making made in our communities. If you aren’t happy with certain leaders or the layout of our country’s political compass, you can change it. We do this by putting the right leaders in the right positions. If a global pandemic has taught us anything, it’s how imperative, strong, effective, and qualified leadership is to our success and overcoming a national setback. 

Just as essential as voting is, many steps should be taken to be prepared and ready for elections. Staying informed and learning what will be on the ballot come November. Voting for the next president is important, but there are also a lot of critical positions and amendments being voted on this year. In Florida, we will be voting on issues ranging from minimum wage to how we will continue going about the primaries. For these amendments to pass, it needs to win 60% of votes statewide. These are the kind of issues that can affect someone on a more personal and local level, meaning your vote is your way of telling your community how you feel about a certain issue. 

Your vote in the presidential election is you deciding the future of our country. We are facing inequality and systematic, deep-rooted issues infringing on the rights and freedoms of minorities. Living in Miami allows for one to see the beauty and power of cultural diversity and how it flourishes in our community. The people we put in power are not our bosses, we are their bosses. Essentially, their role is to serve the American people, not just a group of them. Showing up in numbers at the polls can be a game-changer for the course of our democracy. Make your voices heard. 

I'm a senior at FIU, majoring in Criminal Justice on the Pre-Law track. My goal is to one day go to law school and become a lawyer. I love to read mystery and thriller books that keep me guessing. I am an advocate for our generation being a catalyst to social justice. You could say Elle Woods is who I channel in life.