Money Accounts to Follow On TikTok Instagram?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money Accounts to Follow On TikTok Instagram?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

If Money Didn’t Matter…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Earlier this semester, one of my professors had asked the class, “If money didn’t matter, what would your dream job be?” Not only did that question send me into a spiral, but it got me thinking about follow-up questions like,”does this mean I have enough money to do whatever I want, or is this an alternate universe where money just doesn’t exist?” In either case, I realized that if money didn’t matter, I’d be focusing my time on the things I like and on things I could possibly like. I would pick up new hobbies.

If you were anything like me as a child, your parents probably signed up for a bunch of activities but nothing ever stuck. To this day I still struggle to find a consistent hobby to fall back on whenever I’m bored. However, there are plenty of things I haven’t tried or perfected. Most of it being because of the lack of time. It takes time to learn something new, for example an instrument. When I turned 16, I got a guitar because I was so determined to learn to play. Fast forward five years later, I don’t know where my guitar is and the only thing I remember learning is “Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie” which was the mnemonic used to learn the six strings on the guitar.

There are five main hobbies I would like to try at least once within the next year, and if I am lucky, or dedicated, one of them is bound to stick.

• Pottery: Pottery is like the mature, more sophisticated version of Play-Doh. Who doesn’t love clay?
  • Fencing: This might be the influence of iCarly where Freddy Benson made fencing look pretty cool, but I have been thinking of that one episode ever since; you know the one.
  • Kickboxing: If I pursued kickboxing, I’d be unstoppable.
  • Collecting: Though I have not decided what I would start collecting, I think I’d be pretty good at this considering I was a Littlest Pet Shop collector at the age of nine years old.
  • Tennis: Pros- Great way to stay active and the outfits are cute. Cons- I am severely unathletic.

It is very easy to get sucked into the depths of social media and your phone and end up averaging an excessive amount of screen time. I encourage you to seek some hobbies you would like to try out and have some fun with them just in case someone asks you, “So what do you like to do/what are your hobbies?” and you have nothing to follow up with. I only say this because I’ve been there. There will always be a professor that asks you to talk about yourself in class as an icebreaker or in an introduction discussion post. This is also an inevitable question when you meet someone new. If you already have a hobby, try to get a friend interested in it as well.

And I’ll leave you with this: If money didn’t matter, what would your dream job be?

Samantha is a Miami native and a recent addition to the Her Campus chapter at Florida International University. As a Staff Writer, she focuses her writing on lifestyle, health and wellness, and the college experience. She looks forward to contributing her thoughts to fellow students by creating relatable content. Beyond Her Campus, Samantha has managed the social media accounts for Girl Gains FIU, a female fitness club at her school, for over a year. This semester she will contribute her marketing skills by joining the social media team of Strike Magazine Miami, a student-run magazine covering culture, art, and fashion. Since the Summer, she has been a Community Engagement intern at the Girl Scouts of Tropical Florida where she helps with recruitment by giving girls the opportunity to be a Girl Scout. Majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communication, she expects to pursue a creative marketing career. In her free time, Samantha enjoys trying out new restaurants with her friends, drawing, and scrolling through Pinterest, TikTok, and Instagram to keep up with the latest trends. Samantha hopes to make meaningful change in her community from here on forward by equipping students with the resources and advice needed to excel.