absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“I Weigh” More Than Numbers On a Scale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Questionable advertisements for weight-loss products are endorsed by high profile celebrities and are constantly plastered around social media. Weight-loss products such as, “Flat Tummy Lollipops” and “FitTea Detox Tea” are not properly evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and often combine caffeine with substances that hold a laxative effect. However, regardless of health concerns, these products continue to be advertised by the Kardashians; they have millions of followers which consist of adolescent girls. Media outlets have not held influencers accountable, but many movements such as the “I Weigh Movement” have emerged to go against weight-loss product propaganda and encourage self-love, regardless of body shape and weight. 

The “I Weigh Movement” was first ignited by Jameela Jamil after she created the Instagram account @i_weigh and posted a mirror selfie with the words, “I weigh: Lovely relationship. Great friends. I laugh every day. I love my job. I make an honest living. I’m financially independent. I speak out for women’s rights. I like my bingo wings. I like myself in spite of EVERYTHING I’ve been taught by the media to hate myself about.” Jamil emphasizes that someone’s accomplishments and achievements hold greater weight and value than having a conventional perfect body that is determined by society’s beauty standards. It is important for young girls, boys, and even adults to see the dismantlement of impossible beauty standards and the eradication of weight-loss products that perpetuate that narrative spread across the media and entertainment industry. 

The @i_weigh Instagram account currently has 1 million followers and is a safe space that celebrates individuality and focuses on personal accomplishments, instead of trivial numbers on a scale. Hundreds of pictures and inspiring stories are shared on the account and never fail to make me feel better after being bombarded by false advertisements that swear by weight loss lollipops. The “I Weigh” Movement is allowing our society to reevaluate our approach to how we perceive women’s value and reject the notion that women should conform to a specific body type. 

Lidia (She/Her) is a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. When she is not petting dogs on the sidewalk or re-watching Harry Potter, she is scribbling away on any surface she can find. Lidia is passionate about writing critical and culturally relevant content.