Hurricane Irma: Illegal Price Gouging

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Amidst the panic and chaos of preparing for a hurricane it can be easy to feel overwhelmed and unfortunately fall for tricks. In situations where a storm is hitting or after the storm has hit, many vendors decide to take advantage of a person’s need for supplies and hike up their prices in order to profit from the desperation of others. Airline tickets, water and gasoline are just a few of the items increasing in price! 

For those Floridians wanting to flee before Hurricane Irma strikes, things may have gotten a little trickier once they checked their airline’s ticket price. According to the Miami Herald, “By Wednesday, prices for flights out of South Florida skyrocketed as high as more than $3,000 per person for domestic flights that would otherwise cost a fraction of the price during what’s typically one of the slowest times of the year for air travel.” These prices have left customers angered and frustrated since many need to purchase more than one ticket, making it extremely difficult for individuals to get their family members out of harm’s way. This has also come to affect many college students who study in Florida but families are in other states leaving them with no choice but to purchase the overpriced tickets.

In addition to airlines, a company being criticized for allowing price gouging is Amazon. When stores in Florida began to run out of water and other supplies, many turned to Amazon. Prices began at $19.94 for a 24 pack of bottled water and went as high as $30.

Photo: https://pbs.twimg.com/media

Lines beginning at gas stations leading cars down roads causing a cluster of traffic, lasting anywhere from 40-50 minutes, and costing way more than usual; drivers are infuriated. Already angered by the traffic and long wait and sometimes coming to find the gas station has been out of gas for an hour already, customers are faced with price gouging. AAA spokesman Mark Jenkins, released the following statement: “In fact, Florida residents should expect gas prices to increase another five to 10 cents before they begin dipping again” and according to the Sun-Sentinel, Broward County’s average price was $2.72, a 37-cent increase over a week ago. Prices in Miami-County averaged $2.71 — a 36-cent hike. Confirming suspisions regarding higher gas prices.

Source: https://www.gannett-cdn.com

It is extremely important to remember that price gouging in Florida is ILLEGAL; “Florida Statute 501.160 states that during a state of emergency, it is unlawful to sell, lease, offer to sell, or offer for lease essential commodities, dwelling units, or self-storage facilities for an amount that grossly exceeds the average price for that commodity during the 30 days before the declaration of the state of emergency, unless the seller can justify the price by showing increases in its prices or market trends. Examples of necessary commodities are food, ice, gas, and lumber.” As a result of continuous complaints regarding price gouging, Attorney General Pam Bondi has opened a price gouging hotline where customers can report any signs of illegal pricing; the hotline can be reached at 1-866-9-NO-SCAM or 1-866-966-7226. For extra tips on how to avoid price gouging, visit myflorida.legal. Remember to be prepared, informed and safe at all times!