How Young Miko & Villano Antillano Are Evolving the Latin Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Growing up in Puerto Rico, I was always surrounded by vibrant music: salsa, bachata, merengue and—of course—reggaeton. Reggaeton was a big part of my childhood, with songs of Ivy Queen, Daddy Yankee, and Wisin & Yandel frequently playing at home. Looking back now, I realize that singers like Ivy Queen have opened doors for upcoming women in the industry like as Young Miko and Villano Antillano.

As I grew older, I realized that the genre was very male-dominated. It’s long overdue then that young artists like Young Miko and Villano Antillano get the recognition their deserve, as well as make their mark in the industry. These two women are an inspiration for many others who want to pursue music in a genre filled with male-dominated history.

yOUNG MIKO

Maria Victoria Ramirez de Arellano Cardona, known professionally as Young Miko, was born in Añasco, Puerto Rico, on November 8, 1998. The 24-year-old grew up in a household that often listened to rock, hip hop, and reggaeton. It didn’t take long for her to realize that music was her true passion and soon after, she started releasing her tracks on SoundCloud. She soon gained recognition, especially after releasing her notable track, 105 Freestyle.

Young Miko is also known for singing with Bad Bunny during his most recent tour in what was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for young rappers like her. Since then, she has released new songs such as Riri, Puerto Rican Mami, and her most recent single, Lisa. Young Miko’s career path is a clear example of making dreams come true through hard work and dedication.

Villano Antillano

Villano Antillano, or Villana Santiago Pacheco, was born on March 27, 1995. Similarly to Young Miko, Antillano also spent her life listening to various genres of music such as rock, salsa, and reggaeton. At only 27, she has achieved incredible accomplishments in her career—for instance, her music has reached the Billboard’s top 100 in countries like Argentina and Spain. She’s also the first Latin trans woman to be well-known for her music.

Her music is unique in the way it advocates for LGBTQ+ community and women’s rights. A clear embodiment of this can be seen in one of her most notable songs, mujer, which draws attention to the misogyny and transphobia often seen in Puerto Rico. At the end of the song, you can hear women chanting other women’s names, addressing the systemic violence that women go through in Puerto Rico and that must be changed.

Hello! My name is Christine Santiago; my pronouns are she, her, and hers. My major is Political Science/Pre-Law.