This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Traveling alone can be very intimidating, but if you are looking to disconnect and get that so much needed “me time”, it might just be the best decision you ever make. Like anything in life, you could make a pros and cons list for the topic and both sides would have many valid points, it just comes down to your personality’s needs and sense of adventure. If you hve at least one travel enthusiast bone in you, the simple idea of going somewhere new is enough to get you out the door or at least interest you in looking into planning a trip, no matter when or with whom. The truth is that if there’s a will, there’s a way and even if traveling alone is completely out of you comfort zone, there are many ways to make the most out of it and enjoy the experience.

1. Almost every travel destination is bound to have solo-friendly accommodations, take advantage of the fact that you will need less space. Look into planning your stay at a place where you can save some money by booking a smaller room.

2. Pack light to avoid the struggle of not being able to carry your things by yourself. A backpack is a solo-traveler’s best friend because it definitely fits more than a purse and leaves your arms free for smoother movement.

3. Be safe. Traveling alone, specially as a woman, can be challenging considering that you will have to look out for yourself. Enjoy your time, but be aware of your surroundings and the people you meet. Plan how you will keep in touch with your family and friends at home beforehand in case you need to reach out to someone and preferably get travel insurance so that you have peace of mind if any last minute problems arise.

4.Take your time once you arrive at your destination, after all this is your experience and no one else’s so take advantage of the fact that you can create your own itinerary without having to get anyone else on board with the plans.

5. Pack a good book that you can enjoy while laying at the beach or sitting in a cafe, you will have more time to do the things you like and also more free time to just relax.

6. If you need help, ask. You’ll be looking to interact with people at your destination, so what better way to break the ice than to ask for directions or recommendations? It never fails. It’ll be good to know more or less the area you want to visit to have an idea of where to go once you’re there, but help from the locals is always your best bet.

7. Learn a few words in the local language before going on your trip, if you are going abroad, making an effort to embrace the culture to the fullest will improve your experience there and help you interact with the locals.

8. Enjoy your own company. Most people will say that they don’t like to be alone, but what they really mean is that they don’t like feeling lonely. There’s a big difference between the two, and learning to be comfortable on your own is a very important step in personal development. Being independent while you travel will boost your confidence and make you feel like you can accomplish anything.

Traveling alone is an insightful experience that can help you get to know yourself better at a deeper level. It’ll be easy to plan your trip, you’ll meet new people and experience meaningful things that will be a turning point in your life. At the end of the trip, you will feel satisfied with yourself and hopefully be a better traveler after going through it on your own. If the thing stopping you from taking a well-deserved vacation with yourself is the fear of not knowing what to do once you are alone, take a risk and find out!