How To Transition Your Summer Wardrobe To Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.
Is it September already?

Suddenly, the fall season is upon us, and my closet is still sporting pastels. One of the hardest fashion-related things I struggle with every year is how to abandon my summer wardrobe and transition my pieces to be more fall-friendly.

Although fall in Miami isn’t the chilly wonderland I wished it was (it was 88 degrees today), that doesn’t mean the ~vibe~ can’t be there.

From crops to cardigans and sandals to boots, I’m going to share some recon tips that are sure to help you elevate your closet and help you take your sunny picnic days to dark and gloomy neutrals!

EMphasize The Basics

The first order of business is to sort through any fabrics or colors you definitely don’t want to make an appearance in this new season. For me, this usually applies to any busy prints such as florals. I don’t discriminate against any color because I’m sure I can make it work somehow.

Next, you want to group any colors that work as transitional colors in your wardrobe. For me, this usually refers to any neutral colors that can easily work from outfit to outfit. So essentially, any blacks, browns, creams, and whites.

Keep or Toss?

Following those steps, you want to rummage through last year’s fall wardrobe for inspiration. Are knee-high boots still a thing, or do you just really want them to be?

These are the types of questions you should be asking yourself when deciding whether or not to purchase new items for your closet. Closely followed by the question: can I wear this next year?

Plan Your Outfits

Lastly, plan a few outfits to see if your new fall strategy works…or not. If you’re falling short, you might want to invest in fabrics and colors that offer more longevity for your wardrobe. This trick also prevents you from falling down the fast fashion rabbit hole.

If you’re happy with your outcome, you should definitely reward yourself with one (or two) splurge pieces that you feel will tie in all your elements.

But, Really…

Ultimately, transitioning your summer wardrobe to fall can seem a little daunting. However, by breaking it down and piecing together what makes sense and doesn’t, you’re sure to be on the right track.

(Pinterest also helps massively).

Follow DANIELA on Instagram.

Daniela Gonzalez is a 21-year-old HerCampus Writer at Florida International University. She is currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations while acquiring certificates in Pre-Law and National Security. She enjoys writing about lifestyle, wellness, and politics. When she is not writing, she loves to travel, go out to eat, and spend time with her friends and family.