Life > Academics

How to mentally prepare for finals week!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Since November is officially here, there are various things to look forward to, such as the holiday season. However, with that being said, I realize that November is a reminder that we are about a month away from finals week, so I am mentally preparing myself. As a student who has managed to work through finals, I have learned how to manage healthily.

Establishing a routine 

As a student who has ADHD, at first, I struggled with setting a schedule because I always procrastinated until the last minute. So, I have learned how to set a schedule, and it taught me how to learn how to tackle the papers or exams I needed to do. Also, what I have learned is that learning how to break down large tasks into smaller, more manageable tasks. For example, if I have a paper with a minimum word count of 1500 words due on a particular day, I would write 300 words for five days. Also, knowing what study environment can help you focus; for me, it is my desk in my room. 

Managing stress 

I have many stress triggers, such as knowing that I have many papers and projects to turn in for finals may seem overwhelming. Thus, I have learned how to implement stress-reducing activities, such as taking it one day at a time. Or, listen to calming music, especially ones that do not have distracting lyrics. I like to listen to music that helps me focus; you can look up “focus music that helps you study.” Learning how to break large tasks into smaller ones can make them seem less overwhelming. You can also practice relaxation techniques, such as listening to calming music, or do grounding techniques, such as the 5-7-8 breathing technique. 

Staying motivated 

There also can be various benefits of staying motivated; for instance, I always look forward to finishing my tasks due to the sense of accomplishment. Also, knowing that you can finally relax for your winter break. Also, rewarding yourself during finals can help with motivation if you finish a task, you can reward yourself by watching an episode of your favorite show, reading a book, or listening to a podcast. 

Taking care of your physical and mental health 

Maintaining mental and physical health is vital, such as getting enough sleep. The average young adult needs at least seven to nine hours of sleep; sleeping is beneficial in a way that it helps with preventing burnout. Also, exercising can help tremendously; considering that finals will keep you busy, you do not have to do strenuous exercise. Taking a morning or afternoon walk or beginner yoga from YouTube for 15-30 minutes is efficient enough.     

From what I have learned this semester and mentally preparing myself for finals, it is easier said than done, but we need to prioritize our mental and physical health. It will benefit us in it will help us prevent us from emotionally burning out. May you succeed in finals, and have a happy holidays! 

Hello! My name is Christine Santiago; my pronouns are she, her, and hers. My major is Political Science/Pre-Law.