stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

When people think about kombucha there’s many things that come to mind. But for most the main question that comes up is “what is Kombucha?”. Kombucha is a tangy fermented tea drink that may seem new since it’s on the rise but it has actually been around for thousands of years.

Why drink it?

• Rich source of probiotics
  • Contains antioxidants
  • Antibacterial properties
  • Boosts our immune system

You can find kombucha at any grocery store near you. However, if you’re looking for more options in regards to flavors and brands then grocery stores such as Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Aldi or any supermarket known for organic products are your best bet. Kombucha is not as cheap as regular teas so why spend more than you have to?  You may even want to add your own spin on its flavor by making your own.

For beginners, make sure you have your kombucha tea starter culture known as a SCOBY. A SCOBY is the living home of bacteria and yeast needed to make delicious tangy and fizzy kombucha. If you’re unsure on how to start or make your own SCOBY click on this link for step by step instructions.

How to Make Kombucha

1. Gather all equipment necessary.

-Glass Jar

-Plastic or Wooden Utensil for Stirring

-Coffee Filter Paper or Tight-Weave Cloth

-Rubber band or something to secure cover of the jar.

1. Gather Ingredients (Depending on the amount of the batch you’re making depends on how much of the ingredients you need)

-Unchlorinated Water

-White Sugar

-Loose Tea or Tea bags

-Distilled White Vinegar

-SCOBY

According to Cultures for Health here is a good rule of thumb of amount of ingredients needed:

One-Quart Batch:

1½ teaspoon loose tea OR 2 tea bags

¼ cup sugar

2-3 cups water

½ cup starter tea or vinegar

Half-Gallon Batch:

1 tablespoon loose tea OR 4 tea bags

½ cup sugar

6-7 cups water

1 cup starter tea or vinegar

Gallon Batch:

2 tablespoons loose tea OR 8 tea bags

1 cup sugar

13-14 cups water

2 cups starter tea or vinegar

Combine hot water and sugar in the glass jar till the sugar dissolves.

1. Place loose tea or tea bags in sugar water.
  2. Cool the mixture.
  3. Remove tea bags
  4. Add starter Tea
  5. Add SCOBY
  6. Cover jar with your tight weave towel or coffee filter and secure with a rubber band.
  7. Let mixture sit for 7-30 days out of direct sunlight. Pour kombucha out once you like the taste.
  8. Retain SCOBY for your next batch.
  9. Store the rest in bottles and enjoy!

Kombucha can also be used for more than just drinking. It’s also used in various recipes. Time to celebrate your new go to healthy drink!

xoxo,

Rose

Rose McDonald is a Her Campus Writer at Florida International University. Her main focuses are on overall health, well-being, habitat conservation, societal issues and women's advocate on equal rights. When she isn't writing articles she spends most of her time reading, volunteering in different philanthropies, traveling or simply enjoying nature. Follow up and peek more into her interests by following her Instagram: @rosejanelle