Grown-ish
Grown-ish
ABC Signature Studios
Life > Experiences

How I Became Grown-ish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Inspired By The Television Series: Grown-ish

College is similar to the middle ground of learning self-independency, resilience, and of course the years of acknowledging and being comfortable with who you are.

As the days became closer and closer to moving day, I had to realize my whole environment would change. Everything so familiar to me would be seen as ‘Memories From My Hometown’ because of the new environment, I was soon to enter.

I wanted to come to college with the mindset of being open with myself because I was already in the headspace of having an open mind.

(Impulsive thinker here) … just days before college I wanted a new look, well identity. I dyed my hair fiery red and not even 24-hours after admiring my hair. I shaved my head completely bald within 4 hours of dying it the color I’d been yearning for.

Yikes!

Although, I had a backup plan of covering my “impulsive mistake” I hated the idea of hiding who I was.

This is where it all started.

I wanted the mindset of wanting to be comfortable with myself, but my actions never demonstrated any of that. I was worried about what others thought of me rather as a good friend, a good roommate, and even as a good coworker.

I allowed myself to put others at a higher pedestal for them to feel more comfortable around me rather than being comfortable with myself. This lasted for months, but I always knew a part of me felt uncomfortable, I just could not understand why.

I blamed the school…I blamed my new environment…I blamed everything around me. I could not blame myself because I thought this is who I was…this is who I am. This mentality prevented me from meeting new people and putting myself in new positions.

It took many fallouts, reconsiderations, and much self-talk to understand the only validation I needed was from myself. I grew into the mentality of needing to be comfortable with just myself and reminding myself of the “I Do Not Care What Others Think Of Me,” mentality.

Learning this phrase and projecting it allowed me to go in-depth with being self-independent and more confident with everything I do. Acknowledging what and who is for me because it took many trials and errors, but I am still observing…I am still learning always.

The inspiration I got from Grown-ish helped me realize what college can be about. The phases and life experiences that they went through alone and together can become anyone’s reality. In certain ways, I can relate to the lessons that they have gained through their experiences.

LESSONS I LEARNED IN GROWN-ISH:

*The power in friendships is genuine and authentic

*Cohabitate with other people and their backgrounds

*Learn independence while in the moment of finding yourself

*The aftermath of our choices can reflect who we are

*It is okay to fall out of love with someone

One powerful lesson I gained from Yara Shahidi (Zoey) -“Being indecisive is powerful.”

Diana Dupelord is a Senior Editor at Florida International University Her Campus Chapter. She oversees a group of writers that exemplify different genres of writing. She is responsible for ensuring article credibility, while managing and editing writers' content before publication. Diana continues to expand her editorial experience by becoming a Student Editor for FIU's Undergraduate Research Journal for the 2024 Cohort. She dedicates her time to working with Student Writers during the drafting and publication process to ensure efficient published academic research. Additionally, she has served as an intern for Her Campus Media X Ulta Beauty by creating written content on natural hair for the empowerment of Black Beauty. The art of writing has allowed Diana to optimize her passion for it. She is dedicated to sharing her life experiences through her love for writing. Her transparency has allowed her to influence and inspire people by portraying the empowerment of her written pieces. She emphasizes her reasonings to teach the world as "Breaking Barriers is My Purpose."