Style > Decor

How to Glue and Frame Your Jigsaw Puzzle the Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Jigsaw puzzles have always been a hobby of mine ever since I was a kid. I started off with 50 pieces, worked my way to 100, then to 500, and now I am not satisfied unless it is 1,000 pieces or more. It is not a hobby that many people enjoy because it can be seen as boring and frustrating, but I find the hobby to be quite relaxing and fulfilling. For those of you who are puzzle freaks like me, I’m sure you understand the feeling of immense pride when you finish a puzzle and the twang of pain at having to break it up and put it away. But what if I told you that you can keep your beautiful puzzle on display forever? The jigsaw puzzle enthusiasts will tell you to glue and frame your puzzle and hang it on your wall. Not only is it very original décor for your room, but you can also impress guests by telling them that it was made by you.

The first puzzle I ever glued and framed is still hanging in my room today! It is a 1,000 piece Thomas Kinkade Disney edition puzzle Beauty and the Beast themed. There are loads of jigsaw puzzles for you to decide from and there are even websites nowadays where you can create your own puzzle with your own pictures. Whatever the image the image you choose, if you want to begin saving your puzzles and displaying them, here are simple steps on how to glue and frame your puzzle.

Step 1: Build your jigsaw puzzle

I suggest beginning to build your puzzle on top of a cover so that you can have something in-between the puzzle and the surface when you get to step 2, which involves gluing. Some covers you can use are parchment paper or wax paper. Poster boards and newspapers can be used, but I advise using the other covers instead since these may get stuck to the puzzle while gluing. Seat yourself at your puzzle-working area and get to work. Remember, you can’t frame something that isn’t complete!

Step 2: Prepare your workspace

If you didn’t set your cover under your puzzle in step 1, then now is the time to do it. It may be a little trickier but simply shimmy and slide the cover underneath the puzzle so that glue does not ruin the surface of your area. Make sure the puzzle pieces are all snug tight and remove any dust particles that may be on the surface. You may use a rolling pin and a lint roller to do this.

Step 3: Begin to glue your puzzle

Choosing the right glue for your puzzle is a very important step. There are many types of glue such as spray on or powder, but liquid glue is the best way to go. In fact, there are many kinds of glue’s that will specify that they are best for puzzle’s. Some that I recommend are: Elmer’s Puzzle Glue, MasterPieces Puzzle Glue, and Mod Podge Puzzle Saver. These are sure to keep your puzzle together firmly and give it a glossy, clean finish. 

Step 4: Frame your puzzle

Choosing the right frame for your puzzle is all about the size. Be sure to keep your puzzle box, which should tell you the dimensions of your puzzle. You can buy any frame of those dimensions from a Target, Michaels, or Walmart. Michaels, specifically, has a framing center where they can make custom frames for you if you decide to do so. Other than choosing the right size, be sure to pick a frame that will complement the puzzle picture you want to display. When putting your puzzle inside the frame, grab it from the cover and flip it into the frame. Be sure to adjust the puzzle so it is centered correctly before hanging it and secure the back of the frame tightly.

Step 5: Put your puzzle on display

Choose a location for your puzzle to be admired from. It can be in the privacy of your bedroom or out in the living room for all guests to see; The choice is yours to make! Remember to tell anyone who comments on the picture, that you built it yourself. Nothing wrong with being proud of your work, so stand back and be proud. Not all jigsaw puzzles have to be framed, but it is nice to save your hard work every once in a while, especially if the end result is beautiful. 

Emily Torres is a Junior at Florida International University, majoring in Psychology. She is a huge foodie and loves learning about different cultures. Her interests include musicals, traveling. poetry, and dogs! She is excited to share a piece of herself through her writing with HerCampus.