This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Photo Courtesy

When you’re creating a new closet, shopping can be a bit frustrating. It can take up to hours looking for something that looks and feels good on you. Fortunately, there is a way to cut down the shopping time, making the process much more effective. By knowing what your clothing color palette is, you will immediately know even before trying something on if it will look good. Below are steps to finding your clothing color palette that will take your shopping experience to another level.

Photo Courtesy

1. The four seasons method.

One method in finding your color palette is through the four seasons method. The four seasons method uses the colors of different seasons to define your color type: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. These categories are based on two variables: your skin undertone and the color of your hair and eyes, whether they are warm/golden or cool/ashy. The other variable is how light or deep your skin or hair is. This chart below can help you get a general idea of where you fall on the color spectrum.

Photo Courtesy

So, based on the four seasons method, you either fall between Summer, Winter, Spring or Autumn and depending on the category you fall under, certain colors will flatter you more than others. You’ll notice that some colors make you look radiant and glowing, while other colors make you look washed out and tired. This is because your skin has either a warm, cool or neutral undertone – neutral meaning both. Which brings us to the next test…

Photo Courtesy

2. The gold, silver, neutral test.

Another way to test for your color palette is to decide whether gold or silver looks good on you. To test this, hold a piece of silver jewelry next to your face. Do the same with the gold piece. Which one looks better on you? Which one makes your skin pop? That will be the one that looks good. If it is silver, then you have a cool undertone; if it is gold, then you have a warm undertone. To further confirm this, look at the color of your veins. If they are blue, then you have a cool tone. If there are green, you have a warm undertone.

Photo Courtesy

Photo from: http://tealinspiration.com/what-season-are-you/

Now that you’ve found out your season, it’s time to put together a color palette that works for you. These tips can be used as a shopping guide to practice choosing what works for you. Finding your color palette is a great tool to make shopping easier. Use these tests and charts and you’ll have a better idea of what to consider when shopping. After all, true style is knowing what looks good on you and staying true to that.

Spring

Photo

Summer

Photo

Autumn

Photo

Winter

Photo

JoAnne is a Journalism major at Florida International University. When she's not writing, you can find her collecting tea, exploring the great outdoors, and capturing beautiful portraits. She enjoys writing on lifestyle, health and travel. Find her on Instagram at @joannechrls