How to Cure Wanderlust When You Can’t Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you haven’t already heard or seen the term “wanderlust” commonly used in hundreds of Instagram captions, it is defined as having a strong desire to travel.

Let’s face it, when our friends are posting pictures from their vacation to Italy or study abroad trip to Spain, we can’t help but wish we could just hop on a plane and travel the world too. In a perfect world, we’d be able to travel wherever and whenever without worrying about money or time, but in reality sometimes life gets in the way.

Lucky for you curing wanderlust doesn’t always have to break the bank. One of the best ways to get away from your day-to-day when you’re on a budget is through a staycation.

Now, if you’re reading this you most likely live in Miami or Broward. With that being said, you are aware that we really do live where other people vacation. While that can be a great advantage, it also means having to pay a hefty price for that staycation.

Here are some tips for a Miami staycation when you’re on a budget:

1. Scroll through Groupon

Groupon is filled with great deals when you’re looking to try something new in town. From discounts on places to stay and things to do, Groupon is the perfect site to help you plan your staycation. I once planned an entire Groupon-based day with a helicopter ride and dinner! New deals and additional coupons are constantly being added to the site so make sure to check back every now and then.

2. Scout travel sites

If you’re looking to stay in one of Miami’s luxurious hotels for a fraction of the cost, check out sites such as Travelzoo or KAYAK. These sites update regularly to give you the best price and additional deals that you may not get when booking directly on the hotel’s website. If you sign-up for a free membership with Travelzoo, you’re automatically entitled to member exclusive deals such as extra discounts and free credit to use at the hotel.

3. Take advantage of Miami Spice & Miami Spa Month

While they’re still going on, Miami Spice and Miami Spa Month are the best ways to live like a crazy rich Miamian.

Miami Spice is a restaurant promotion in which (you guessed it) Miami locals can try delicious cuisines from a wide array of participating restaurants at reduced prices. The restaurants offer a special menu with three-course meal options that feature signature dishes from world-renowned chefs. The price for lunch/brunch is $23 and dinner is $39. Miami Spice will be going on throughout the month of August and September, so make sure to take advantage of these incredible deals! Seriously, this is your chance to book your reservation at that restaurant you’ve had your eye on with four dollar signs on Yelp.

While Miami Spa Month is only until the end of August, it’s definitely still worth mentioning. If you’re looking to relax and pamper yourself at renowned luxury spas that have been ranked among the “Best Spas in America” then Miami Spa Month is for you. Participating spas offer special treatments for as low as $109, which may sound like a lot at first but compared to the jaw-dropping original price, you’ll be getting a great deal. This is the perfect way to unwind and get away from your daily routine.

Taking time off helps with your mental health so don’t put it off because you don’t have the time or money. Find ways to experience new things in your own backyard when you’ve got the case of wanderlust.

Nadia is a senior at Florida International University pursuing a major in Public Relations and a minor in Social Media Marketing . In addition to writing, she has a zeal for anything related to fashion and beauty. Nadia loves to travel and experience new cultures, not to mention trying delicious foods on the way. In her free time, she enjoys watching funny dog videos.