This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

I can’t be the only one that gets the yearly urge to redecorate their entire room. I only say room, since I don’t have the privilege to do so to my entire living space, which is shared. As of recent, there’s been a shift from a Scandinavian minimalist aesthetic to an eclectic, colorful, kind-of-kitschy design, reminiscent of the eighties. Below are some examples of decor items you can add to curate the perfect living space straight out of an eighties Architectural Digest mag. 

Lucite tables

Whether it’s a coffee table, a vanity, or a nightstand, this style is one of a kind. It is perfect if you have colorful decorations to add, as it sort of blends in with the background and gives the spotlight to the colorful ornaments you want to put on the table.

Tiled tables

This is making a strong comeback, and there is nothing that screams eighties more than tiled tables. In strong contrast to the previously popular tables that resembled a dull brutalism mixed with contemporary, these tiled tables give warmth and lightness to your space—kind of reminding you of your grandma’s home, in the best way possible. 

Anything that is shell-shaped 

Any type of decoration that is shaped like a seashell is a tiny portal to a beach house—whether it’s a lamp, a trinket dish, a catch all, or a plate. Who wouldn’t want an ever-present reminder of the ocean?

Mirrors with designs on the glass 

Something you can’t find in the market today is something worth having. The rare printed, and sometimes etched mirrors were the gems of the eighties and some are so rare—like David Marshall designed mirrors—that they are being sold for up to thousands of dollars. 

Unconventional vases

Round, textured, or uniquely shaped vases are an easy way to add movement in the room. A much needed break from the harsh lines created by bed frames, doors, tables, and rectangular mirrors. 

I'm a Sophomore at FIU, majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. When I'm not listening to post punk music, or thrifting, you can find me daydreaming about living in a french countryside château.