Hocus Pocus Is Officially Being Remade And The Internet Is Not On Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s October, the perfect time to be picking out your Halloween costume, drinking pumpkin spice lattes and watching Halloween movies. One Halloween movie I’m looking forward to watching for the millionth time is Hocus Pocus! This movie is such a classic — it’s hard to get tired of watching it around this season every year. Every 90’s baby out there knows just how legendary this movie is. And now it’s finally official: something wicked this way comes to Disney Channel. A Hocus Pocus remake is in the works!

But not so fast! We’re not too sure how we’re feeling about this remake just yet. Rumors of the remake or sequel have been floating around for quite some time. More details have finally been released and the film is set to be a “reimagining” of the beloved 1993 movie. There has also been a lot of talk about recasting for the remake of Hocus Pocus instead of having the original cast (who have previously expressed an interested in participating in bringing back the film.) So what gives?

Kenny Ortega, director of the original movie, will be absent from it as well. Ortega says that the project would be much more fun with the original cast and as a sequel instead of a remake. “I would like to see a sequel, and I think that the fans would like to see a sequel,” he told ET.

Photo source

“I think it would be much more fun to bring the ladies back,” the director added. “They’re all still vital and in their prime and capable of doing so much that it would be great to see Bette and Kathy and Sarah come back together to do another movie and I think they would like to.” The lack of Sanderson sisters is seriously disappointing to fans and a release date for the remake has not yet been announced.

While the Internet isn’t exactly on board with it, one thing is for sure: you can still catch a marathon of the original Hocus Pocus all month long on Freeform!

Cover photo: source

My name is Amanda and I'm currently a senior at FIU studying Management. When I'm not busy writing, I love working on my photography, traveling, hanging out at the beach and creating content for my blog!