This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

H&M has always been a fan favorite among consumers in the fast fashion industry. They create trend setting clothing at a minimal cost. Lately, H&M has been exploring other segments of their business. For instance, H&M is constantly coming out with new collections throughout the year. They are offering a higher price point for their clothing and much more. Just recently, H&M released their new Conscious Exclusive Collection. This will be their ninth Conscious Collection since launching the first one in April 2012.

Courtesy of H&M

Courtesy of H&M

Courtesy of H&M

Previously, the collection only focused on creating clothes from organic cotton, hemp, and recycled polyester. Now the company is experimenting in different materials that benefit society further. With this ninth collection, H&M has designed over 20 pieces that are made from orange peel, pineapple leaves, and algae. Orange peel is used to create a sustainable, high-quality fabric through the fibers of the peel. From the fibers of the pineapple leaf,  it is used to design Pinatex. Pinatex is used in the collection for an alternative to leather. Lastly, algae was manipulated into a flexible foam called BLOOM. BLOOM comes from the algae biomass. BLOOM is then used for shoe designs. All three materials are eco-friendly and biodegradable. With H&M venturing into eco-friendly materials, they are giving consumers alternative options to help the environement at a budget. 

Hi! My name is Sonya Islam. I am currently studying International Business at Florida International University. Some of my favorite things to do is constantly read up on pop culture, keep up with politics, and watching tv to relax. Those are actually some of my passions and hopefully, that passion is translated into the articles I write.