Style

Highlights of New York Fashion Week 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The fabulous Carrie Bradshaw once said, “Every year the women of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future. This is known as Fashion Week…” 

New York Fashion Week is the event of the season where top designers showcase their collections to buyers, press, and the general public. This season was condensed into a full week of glamorous runway looks, diverse models, transcendent visual productions, and the most talked-about celebs sitting front row. According to the CFDA, the week ran from September 6th to the 11th. Here are some highlights of one of the most-watched and anticipated events in fashion. 

(Source: giphy)

1. Glamorous Runway Looks

From Marc Jacobs to Pamela Roland and Oscar de la Renta, fashion week is filled with top designer names and high-end fashion. Fashion designers create alluring and elegant collections for the spring/summer 2020 seasons. 

Runway model, Gigi Hadid, walked in Marc Jacobs 70’s chic inspired collection. Wearing a knitted light blue dress, Gigi walked barefoot on the runway due to her heel breaking. However, the mishap did not stop her and she strutted down the catwalk like a pro. 

In the Pamela Roland Spring 2020 collection, a lot of pink fabric was put to use. Pink feathers, jewels, and sequins were eye-catchers down the runway. Roland’s garments stole the spotlight and stayed on-brand. 

As for Oscar de la Renta, bold and vibrant designs dominated the runway. Sneaking a peek into Summer 2020, the collection emanated tropical vibes. 

(Photos: SALVATORE DRAGONE, Twitter, RANDY BROOKE)

Along with glamour came glitz, and the Area + R-13 collection was extravagant. Giving Euphoria-esque vibes, the collection consisted of embroidered and crystal-embellished pieces that could blind those in the front row. 

(Photos: TeenVogue

2. Diversity on the Runway

NYFW took inclusivity seriously this season, from racial diversity to women of all shapes and sizes. Chromat was one of the runways that embraced diversity. Celebrating their 10th year in the industry, they dressed models of all body types, races, and genders in their vibrant swimwear. At the Lulu et Gigi show, 9-year-old model Daisy-May Demetre became the first child amputee to walk down the runway. This is only the beginning of more representation of all humans. 

(Photo: WWD, nypost, Twitter@NYFW)

3. SAVAGEXFENTY

The showstopper of 2019’s NYFW was Rihanna’s SavageXFenty show. Presenting her fall/winter 2019 collection Rihanna incorporated an audio-visual experience that left guests in awe. With appearances and performances from Normani, 21 Savage, Big Sean, Tierra Whack, Migos and many more, Rihanna went all out. Turns out the fashion show was a televised production that is set to premiere on Amazon Prime on September 20th. 

(Photo: Variety)

4. Rodarte Spring 2020 Collection

Not all designers present their collections on the runway, this is the case for the Rodarte Spring 2020 collection. In deciding to not participate in a catwalk, the designers at Rodarte released the collection in a star-studded look book on the eve of NYFW. The garments were worn by actresses like Euphoria star Alexa Demie, Riverdale’s Lily Reinhart, Kirsten Dunst, Gabrielle Union, among a few. 

Everything from the set design to the collection pieces creates a “fantasy garden” illusion. 

(Photo: Vogue

5. Front Row Celebs

Every year NYFW brings in the hottest and most talked-about celebrities to sit front row at shows. Decked out in Tom Ford, singer Miley Cyrus and actor Ansel Elgort wore head to toe black at Tom Fords Spring/Summer 2020 show. 

Euphoria star Zendaya and singer H.E.R. were caught sitting front row at Vera Wang’s NYFW presentation. Zendaya’s NYFW also consisted of her unveiled collaborative collection with Tommy Hilfiger during the week. 

Wearing a shimmering silver Micheal Kors wrap dress, actress Yalitza Aparicio shined at her first NYFW show. Elegant and glamorous, Yalitza attended the Micheal Kors Spring 2020 collection runway in this piece.  

(Photo: Twitter 1,2, People

One of the 2019 XXL Freshman, Rico Nasty, and singer/songwriter Kehlani sat front row at the Kim Shui NYFW show. Both artists recently debuted their own gender-fluid and inclusive clothing collections for 2019’s Pride Month. 

Also spotted front row was the “Motivation” singer Normani and Justin Skye at the Pyer Moss NYFW show. Playing off each other’s outfits both are sporting a yellow number and have yet to disappoint us.  

While model Kendall Jenner did not walk the runway this season, she did take a front-row seat at shows. Sitting next to CEO Jean Cassegrain at the Longchamp Spring 2020 show, Kendall watched the show in a mini dress. 

Showcasing the most innovative and glamorous designs, New York Fashion Week came to its end. 

However, Fashion never sleeps and what is known as “Fashion Month” continues in London on Sept. 13 followed by Milan Sept. 17 and culminating in Paris on Sept. 23. 

Sources: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/new-york-fashion-week-highlights-ss20/index.htmlhttps://www.teenvogue.com/story/what-is-fashion-week

Allison is currently a Broadcast Media major at Florida International University. Passionate about writing and reporting, Allison aspires to one day work in a newsroom. She hopes to share her love for music, movies, fashion, and all things pop culture through her writing.