This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Warning: The following content you’re about to read may contain some movie spoilers. It is advised to not continue reading if you don’t want movie spoilers. In other words, read at your own risk. 

There is nothing more satisfying than watching a movie with girl power.  The movie directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck is a complete gem that should be preserved in the presidential movie vault. The movie “Captain Marvel” isn’t just another hero movie, it’s so much more. It transports the audience back to the 1990s. To the era of new technology and fashion wave, e.g. beepers, VHS, BlockBusters, Nirvana, etc… 

Despite what many critiques say, the movie, according to the New York Times, has been ranked number 7 out of the whole 21 MCU films. This is marvels only leading woman movie, and for it to surpass many other MCU films says something. Captain Marvel has also surpassed the other girl power movie, DC’s Wonder Woman by $50 million more, but let’s not put two strong bad-as* women up against each other.  *Hint, hint: make more women leading superheroes.*

The start of the movie plays a wonderful homage to the legendary Stan Lee. If you’re a Marvel fan or have seen the movies, then you know that in the beginning, the intro is snippets of the Marvel characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Scarlet Witch, etc… well, due to Mr.Lee’s passing earlier this year the intro changed and instead the real hero was displayed. The intro included all of Mr.Lee’s cameos in the Marvel Films.  *Tip: make sure to wear waterproof mascara so you don’t look like a hot mess afterward.*

Actress, Brie Larson, who plays Captain Marvel, a.k.a Carol Danvers is truly the most hardcore woman ever in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Granted,  there are many other marvelous women in MCU, but none to compare with Captain Marvel. She just oozes out confidence, leadership, and resilience.  Brie Larson, in general, is an amazing actor who took all those critics and let it pass by her. She and Captain Marvel truly are one. They both have that calming aura to them, one that seems to rub people the wrong way for some reason.  Captain Marvel is that friend who will never let you do stupid stuff alone, although she may at first seem all iffy, she will ride or die with you. 

Throughout the film, she is challenged to suppress these dreams she has in her sleep. Dreams that always left her confused. She is told throughout the movie by her mentor, Yon‑Rogg, Jude Laws’s character trains her to bottle it up because is she lets it get to her then she won’t be focussed on her missions. But then it turns out that these dreams weren’t just a figment of her imagination, but that they were memories of her past life. Of course, she doesn’t figure it out till later in the film when she goes to California to find the ‘enemies’ Skrulls who can shapeshift into anything.   Throughout the movie, there is many plot twist and honestly, if you aren’t paying attention to the details and the surroundings then, you are missing out on all the hidden clues. 

Despite having obstacles thrown at her, Carol uses her motto, “Higher, further, faster,” to push herself to be the best.  There is this one snippet throughout the film.  A subtle touching flashback, of all of Carol’s downfalls from when she was a young girl all the way to her time training to be part of the U.S. military. She remembers it all in order to unleash her hidden powers that were repressed by Yon‑Rogg, who was meant to be her mentor. This small clip is moving, it has so much power. The hidden message was, even though there are times when one falls one has to pick themselves up again. Even if things seem so utterly bleak and you believe that there is no way going back, what Carol is showing is that those downfalls are keys to our hidden power. They are our power source in a way. If we didn’t fall, have worries or faults then life wouldn’t be life, it would be a fairy tale and those, unfortunately, aren’t real unless you have millionaire parents. 

After the movie ended, a group of little girls came out crying, but happy tears. They were head to toe with Captain Marvel merchandise and gushing about the movie and their favorite part. This movie brought out this whole new confidence in them. They were so moved by the movie that they wanted to watch it over and over.  It was safe to say that they were in complete awe and in love with the movie. There should be more women leading films like this one. One where a superhero doesn’t have to use her charm to escape danger or await a knight in shining armor. Movies like this help the female audience see that we, as females, are capable of doing anything we put our minds to. That we can also be badas*es without having to smile every second of our lives or have to apologize for doing something. 

To summarize everything, the movie, in my opinion, is 10/10. The ending bonus of the movie, which has been circulating around the internet, shows how it’ll connect to ‘End Game.’ The ending also shows how Nick Furry comes up with the name group name “The Avengers,” and why S.H.I.E.L.D.S goes off finding Captain America and more heroes like her.  The extra-extra bonus scene, (yes, there was another bonus ending) was just comedic with the fluffy little cat, Goose, but also it shows one major keep component to the film, the tesseract. 

Stephanie Almendares is currently a student at Florida International University majoring in Mass communication-Journalism while also getting a Film Certificate. She enjoys watching plays, reading books--some which she's already read more then 10 times-- and learning about crystals and astrology.