Hermione Granger Probably Filled Out Her Own FAFSA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Hermione Granger, Muggle-born daughter of dentists, was not an insufferable know-it-all for no reason. Hermione Granger did not read Hogwarts: A History or memorize countless of spells by heart in her first year of Hogwarts only to be seen as irritating; she did it because her studies were important to her as she was the only witch in her family and the first to attend the very prestigious school of wizardry. Hermione Granger did not organize “The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare” to be seen as nagging; she did it because she recognized the injustice and maltreatment against house-elves as she also faced prejudice of being a muggle-born and demanded societal change. Hermione Granger worked hard, was often seen as an outsider, and did not want to be seen as a failure or let people down, especially her parents – a common trait among first-generation college students. 

(Source: Wizarding World)

Hermione Granger perfectly embodies what it means to be a first-generation college student and the struggles that come with it. As mentioned before, Granger is the only one in her family that possesses magical abilities and the first to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a fact her parents are absolutely thrilled about. However, because her parents are Muggles, who lacks any sort of magical capabilities, they have little to no understanding of the wizarding world and have no experience on how to properly navigate Hermione through this new world she is about to embark on. As a first-generation student, when I received my college acceptance letter my parents were ecstatic, but they had no idea how I should move forward. I remember trying to figure out how to properly fill out my FAFSA correctly on my own by googling what a tax bracket was or constantly reassuring my mom it was safe for me to input my social security number.

Hermione once fiercely protested it was worse to be expelled than killed, which quickly became one of her most iconic lines in the franchise. Though it seemed silly and a bit exaggerated, I believe Hermione truly feared expulsion above anything else at that moment, a fear I think is inherent among first-gens. Hermione, like many first-generation students, value and prioritize their education because they acknowledge the privilege bestowed on them to receive one. Hermione worked extremely hard, eventually becoming the brightest witch of her age, an accomplishment that was possible due to her headstrong mindset to prove to herself and others that she deserved to be at Hogwarts, despite her upbringing.

(Source: Wizarding World)

At the beginning of the Harry Potter series, Hermione is often picked at, called names, and doesn’t have friends, as her determination to excel in her studies is seen as annoying and obnoxious by the other students. There is a moment in The Philosopher’s Stone where Ron Weasley calls Hermione a nightmare with no friends after she tries to correct him on how to say a spell properly, “It’s Wing-gar-dium Levi-osa”. Hermione hears Ron and dashes away crying. Later on, Ron and Harry go find Hermione after a troll is said to have escaped in the castle. They finally come together to defeat the troll and create an allyship to have each other’s backs. This is a monumental moment because as the series progresses, we see Ron and Harry defending Hermione time and time again as allies. In The Chamber of Secrets, Draco Malfoy calls Hermione a filthy mudblood, an offense slur used against those that do not come from a lineage of wizards. Ron wastes no time and flings his wand towards Draco, furiously casting a spell at him. Ron, unfortunately, casts the spell on himself instead of Draco, but the sentiment is still there. Draco does not see Hermione as an equal, she is an outsider undeserving of an opinion or thought due to her status. In an earlier chapter of The Chamber of Secrets, Draco’s father tells him he should be ashamed that Hermione, a girl of no wizard family, is beating him in every exam. Draco, as a pure-blood wizard, is expected to be at the top of his class, not Hermione. First-generation college students lack the advantage of “college knowledge” and are more than twice as likely to leave school within three years and only 48% are on track to graduate three years after enrollment. First-generation college students have to work hard to “beat the odds”, however, it is a difficult road that may take. Some feel undeserving or defeated by others who think they are superior because of their “higher” status. First-generation college student allies are important to dismantle the notion that status determines one’s abilities to be successful or coming from a highly educated background guarantees success.  

As a first-generation college student, the fear of failure or letting my family down is terrifying, especially after hearing the tales of the amount of sacrifices done for me to reach this point. However, Hermione Granger is a prime example of what a first-generation college student can achieve, despite challenges and setbacks. She is courageous and unafraid to be different. She shows that curiosity and a strong desire to learn is not a negative characteristic. She recognizes injustice and does not rest without trying to find the right solution. Hermione Granger offers the comfort that despite it all, you will always have a support system and you will achieve greatness.

(Source: Wizarding World)

Lidia (She/Her) is a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. When she is not petting dogs on the sidewalk or re-watching Harry Potter, she is scribbling away on any surface she can find. Lidia is passionate about writing critical and culturally relevant content.