Here’s How To Start Playing Dungeons and Dragons During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

What’s Dungeons and Dragons? You’ve seen DnD on Stranger Things, Big Bang Theory and Community. It’s the dorky fantasy game the nerds in movies love to play. It’s also the ultimate escape from quarantine. The fantasy game features dungeons and dragons (obviously) plus sorcerers, wizards, warlocks, demons and so much more! Play with friends online and get ready for a world of fun. Meeting up with friends to play DnD is no different than meeting up for a game night filled with board games or video games. Here’s what you should know about before starting up a game.

Why Play Now?

We’re in quarantine. People are going to be looking for an excuse to give themselves some mental stimulation, while hanging out with your friends. So, DnD is definitely the way to go. This is a game that allows you to be your most creative self. It might seem intimidating and you are going to feel a little silly at first. But once you break that first barrier, you’ll have a blast. Turn your character into whoever you want them to be. It’s the perfect escape from quarantine! Play responsibly and stay home. Use apps like Discord and Tabletop Simulator or Fantasy Grounds to run a safe, socially distant campaign from wherever you are.

Campaigns

A campaign is basically the storyline your characters are following throughout the game. Some can last a day, a month or even years. There are already prewritten campaigns, like Tome of Foes or Curse of Strahd, and you can create your own. And it doesn’t have to be all fantasy. You can make it take place in modern-day or in a sci-fi dystopian. You aren’t limited. If you can dream it up, you can write it in.

Don’t be mistaken, even if you’re playing a pre-written campaign, the world is still yours to do whatever you want. While it may seem complicated at first, you’ll get the hang of it the more you play. But, if you’re still unsure of how a DnD campaign works, check out Critical Role on YouTube.

Dungeon Masters

I swear this is in no way kinky. Your DM is basically the god of your campaign. Think of them like a referee mixed with an all-knowing overlord.

They’re the ones who are going to control the non-playable characters you meet and the monsters you fight along the way. They reign players in when they’re going out of line and keep the story on track. DMs are the heavens’ gifts to this world, so be nice to them.

Characters

Like I mentioned before, you can turn your character into whoever you want them to be. I’ve played an elf sorceress with a tragic backstory and a heart of gold who wanted nothing more than to bring a little good into her world. Another character of mine was a chaotic, French Tiefling. She was a paladin who honored her gods by opening a brothel.

Live vicariously through your new persona. This is one of my favorite parts of any campaign. This is when you start getting more invested in the world you and your friends are entering and creating.

There are rulebooks that guide you throughout the whole process of making a character. Creating a new character is one of the best parts of starting a new campaign. This is where you draw them and start to assign them traits. Most importantly, this is where you begin to set out the relationship your character has with the other players.

Be Prepared

You’re going to get attached to your character. And if you make any mistake, you can jeopardize their lives. When it’s time for them to go, your heart will break. You won’t be able to play them in that campaign again, but you will always have a special spot in your heart for them. Especially if they’re your first character.

Whenever you meet to play, this world truly comes to life and it’s so easy to get lost in it. You won’t notice the hours ticking by. Dungeons and Dragons is a great way to bond with friends and just spend time together. You’ll laugh and cry. But in the end, you’ll have an incredible time.

Julia Gomez is a student of journalism at Florida International University and hopes to become an investigative journalist. She is experienced in writing about politics and pop culture, and has a passion for music and photography.