This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Halloween is dangerously approaching and I know I am not the only one that waits until the last minute to decide whether or not to dress up, and then panics at the thought of spending $40+ on a silly costume that will be worn for half a night. If you don’t have the skills or time for a full on DIY costume and like living life on the edge during this spooky season, try looking through your closet with some imagination and get ready to find the basis of classic Halloween costumes that never get old! It’ll be so easy that you will ask yourself why did you ever buy a costume in past years!

Some people are surprised to find that they already own most of what they need for a Halloween costume. The only things you might need to visit the Halloween store for is a wig and minor accessories to give your costume a realistic finish, other than that, you will be set with just a quick run through your everyday stuff.

1. Blue sundress

This is a must have piece that a lot of girls already own from the previous Summer season. If yours is an A line kinda dress, it’ll be perfect for these two options:

• Alice: For Alice all you will really need to add is a white apron (easy to find online or at any department store) and high white socks. If you want to get a more realistic finish, get a blonde wig and a little white rabbit stuffed animal to carry as a prop. Black closed toe shoes, preferably flats, are the go to for this option.
  • Belle: This one is very similar to Alice, you’ll just have to add a white shirt/white button down under the dress to get her look. Tie your hair back in a low ponytail and grab a book to use as your prop for the night and done! Any black closed toe shoes will do the trick for this as well.

2. LBD

Probably the simplest thing from your closet that you can transform into a costume is your all time favorite LBD (little black dress). This can be styled in so many ways and gives you the freedom to make it your own by simply adding the necessary accessories. Some great costume ideas with a LBD are:

• Basic Witch: For this option all you need is a witch hat, which you can find online or at any Halloween store for less than $10. From there you just add a smokey eye and dark lipstick to your makeup. Wear black heels, flats or sandals depending on the occasion and add a decorative broom if you’re feeling extra.
  • Three Blind Mice: This can be a group effort, the three blind mice is actually a very cute and simple costume that you could rock with your BFFs by simply adding some black shades and black stockings. Buy mouse ears (diy for this can be found online) and the walking stick (which you could also make yourself with a short broom stick) and paint on the nose and whiskers with some eyeliner.
  • Wednesday Adams: This is an all-time favorite character during Halloween and the best part is that to achieve her look all you need is 1. wear all black 2. braid your hair. Add a white collar to your LBD and some white high socks to get the perfect look. Any black shoes will go well with this.
  • Breakfast at Tiffany’s: This iconic movie will forever be my fave to recreate for a quick Halloween costume. All you need is to style your hair in a similar high bun, buy some fake pearl necklaces and black gloves from the Halloween store and you could also add some dark sunglasses. Black heels for this look are perfect.

3. Black jeans + white button down shirts

If you don’t already own these two basic pieces, they are very easy to find at inexpensive prices. The best part is that, if you do need to buy these, you will for sure be able to use them later on.

• Mia Wallace: If you don’t know who this is, it’s okay, but I highly recommend you watch the movie Pulp Fiction ASAP! For this costume all you will need is a faux (or real) cigarette to hold as a prop for the night and a black bob wig to complete the look! Super simple and iconic with minimum spending. To look even more like Mia, wear black pumps with the outfit.

So there you have it, before going crazy the weekend of Halloween and throwing your money on some overpriced costume you will never wear again, check your closet first to see if you can make something out of your basic pieces and then you’ll just have to worry about the few accessories you might want to add to it. Halloween doesn’t have to be scary for your wallet too.