This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

For the past couple of weeks Greek life has been all over the news and headlines.  Whether it was the release of leaked audiotapes that described hazing and racist remarks from UF’s Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, the unfortunate death of a Pi Kappa Phi pledge at FSU, or even the leaked images from FIU’s Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, it seems like Greek life is in a hot seat right now.  These incidents have not only been happening in our own state of Florida but have also occurred nationwide. LSU has suspended Greek activities after the unfortunate hazing incident of Phi Delta Theta pledge Maxwell Gruver, earlier in the fall semester Penn state banned the Beta Theta Pi fraternity as well as cancelled Greek rush for fall 2017 after another hazing incident, and FSU’s president John Thrasher has just released a statement exclaiming the suspension on all fraternities and sororities. Now more than ever colleges all over the United States are taking a stance against hazing.  However, although Greek life has been under bad publicity recently, it is not like that everywhere. As someone who does belong to a sorority I can say that these unfortunate hazing incidents do not always happen and that there is more to Greek life than the tailgating, partying, or whatever crazy scenes that you see in the stereotypical college movies. There is a very negative stigma around Greek life, especially now with all these unfortunate incidents making news headlines, but the reality for a lot of sororities and fraternities is far from it. One of the things that fails to make the news is how much money these Greek organizations make for the philanthropies that they support, and the bond you create with your fellow sisters or brothers. Although, we cannot stop all these horrible situations from happening, there is a way of making sure people are not stuck in uncomfortable positions. If you plan on rushing in the near future remember to always keep an open mind and if you feel uncomfortable at any point, do not hesitate to speak up. Being involved in Greek life is supposed to be fun and help you network and grow as a person, not the other way around.