jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

A Good Friend vs. A Bad Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Life-changing friendships can be one of the most monumental things we get to experience in our lives. Picture how your life would be if you hadn’t met that one person that has helped you become an even better version of yourself. The close friends we make over the period of our lives are people that we want to keep close to our hearts and these people can help us realize our true potential. However, when do we know that a “friendship” that we have isn’t worth it? When do we have to step to the side and realize that this specific “friend” or certain “friends” aren’t actually helping us but bringing us deeper down into a hole? There are some genuinely phenomenal people out there that we’d cross oceans for, however, we shouldn’t set ourselves on fire to keep others warm.

(http://blog.theloungedb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Cover2373.jpg)

A Bad Friend

Sometimes it’s hard to realize the traits that one of our friends has isn’t beneficial towards us. If your friend is only pushing you towards bad habits that you know aren’t good for you, its time to take some much needed reflecting. Take a step back and think about the person that you were before you met this person. Did you find yourself happier? Did you find yourself aiming towards a path that could be colossal towards the endeavors you wish to pursue in the future? We can become entirely blinded by the awful things that a friend may be putting us through. Often, we are going through things in life and we don’t want to go through them alone. We make choices that may only be hurting ourselves in the end, and if your friend is driving you towards your own spiral or downfall, this is not the kind of person you need in your life.

Not only this, but your friend should want to see you succeed, they should be honest, and shouldn’t be one who talks poorly about you when you aren’t in the room. What good is a friend if they only slander your character? There are so many instances when we have people that are our so called “friends” who smile to our faces but toss dirt on our name when we’re not around.

(https://d4l6i3suptb3a.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/mean-gir…)

A Good Friend

It’s important that the ones you choose to keep close to you in your life fulfill your standards. If you wouldn’t lower your standards in a relationship, you shouldn’t lower your standards with a friendship either. The good ones should love you for who you are and be accepting of your flaws. We are all far from being perfect people, but a good friend will learn to love your imperfections. A good friend should be comfortable with telling you when you’re wrong and help you find a resolution to the problem. They won’t just sit back and, watch you make the same mistakes over and over again.

A good friend also shouldn’t have excuses for things when they are at fault. They should acknowledge when they themselves are in the wrong and shouldn’t instantly place the blame on you. As we’re all growing, learning, and maturing, sometimes we have to own up to our slipups and, be honest with ourselves and each other. If we don’t have honesty, then what do we really have? Good friendships are built on trust as well. It’s important that those who are close to you aren’t whispering your deepest thoughts behind closed doors. ­In the end, it’s your choice as to who you want to let into your life. You should know what’s best for you. There’s nothing wrong with making some readjustments as to who you want to let go of and who you want to stay.

(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/6e/5c/6f6e5c9707595691af61920eccb3c122…)

Hi! My name is Sherneice Robin and I am currently a senior at Florida International University and I'm a part of the FIU Her Campus Staff Team! I'm pursuing a degree in PRAAC (Public Relations, Advertising, & Applied Communications) with an area of concentration in Business Communication. My passion in life has always been towards writing and I strive to inspire others with my words. Find your purpose and aspire to inspire.