This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With spring break upon us, it’s important to have a safety plan when going out. Whether you are male or female, safety concerns are valid. Here are some tips for your next GNO, party, and share with any man in your life you think needs to read this too.

1. Don’t put your drink down.
  2. If you’re going to let someone buy you a drink, including water, make sure you see the drink from the moment the bartender grabs the cup to the moment it reaches your hands.
  3. Carry pepper spray.
  4. Don’t walk alone.
  5. Don’t leave alone. 
  6. Park in a lit-up area.
  7. Wear shoes you can run in if necessary.
  8. Share your location with someone at all times and let them know you are doing so.
  9. Mark the location of your parked car on your phone in case you get lost.
  10. Don’t put your keys down. 
  11. Carry a small purse that you can have on you at all times, or wear clothing with pockets where you can put your wallet items and phone.
  12. Walk in well-lit areas.
  13. Don’t leave with a random person (any gender/age) at the end of the night.
  14. Call the police if you’re afraid for any reason.
  15. Make sure your phone has sufficient battery when you leave the house.
  16. Tell the bouncer if you suspect of any behavior, feel afraid, or threatened.
  17. Carry a charger with you just in case your phone dies.
  18. Don’t go to the bathroom alone.
  19. Make sure at least one person in your party is sufficiently sober to take care of you if you get sick.
  20. Don’t drink and drive.
  21. Make sure you have enough money to take an Uber back home in case you end up not being able to drive.
  22. If you do end up having to go to a party alone or come back from a party alone, have someone that you can call while you are walking from your car to the location and back.
Daniela is a senior majoring in English Literature and Criminal Justice at Florida International University.