FIU Student Detained For Suspicious Threats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It was a normal Thursday for me, I had class in the morning and then work in the Graham Center later that day. Around 4:00pm, me and every other Florida International University member received an alert text message that read “ FIU ALERT: Evacuate Blue Garage. Everyone stay away until further notice. Police Activity.”

No one knew what was going on. All of my group chats from different classes and my sorority started blowing up. Everyone had heard different stories of what was really happening. We started getting calls in our office asking if it was safe to stay in the Graham Center. One thing was for sure, we were all nervous and anxious to find out the truth.

It wasn’t until 7:00PM that people started receiving the “ All clear” text messages, and even then some of us still hadn’t known what was going on for sure. Until the full story was aired on the news.

A twenty one year old student from Florida International University, Oscar Aguayo threatened to “raise havoc” at the FIU Jewish Museum of Florida in Miami Beach. The Police found Aguayo in class and detained him, while searching his car that was parked in the Blue garage at the main campus. The bomb squad was called due to a bomb dog smelling something suspicious activity in Aguayo’s Vehicle.

The police made a thorough search and investigation of the campus and the museum on Miami beach, until they sent out the all clear alert.

The museum was planning an event later that night and because of the threat they decided to cancel.

According to the Channel 10 News, the event was going to be in remembrance of The Balfour Declaration. It was the 100 year anniversary of the British supporting the “establishment of a national home for the Jewish people in Palestine.”

You can read more about this event here: https://www.local10.com/news/florida/miami-dade/college-student-threatens-jewish-museum-of-florida-fiu-police-say