FIU Senate Passes Resolution Against Sexual Misconduct

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Society has reached a pivotal point where both men and women are willing to initiate and hold a conversation in regards to sexual harassment and assault, something that has been taboo for centuries. As a student attending FIU, it is imperative that we show a united front against predators even more so at such a sensitive time.

FIU administration as well as campus leadership received an anonymous email containing graphic screenshots of a Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity group chat that was previously sent to student code of conduct. Where the group should have had a formal judicial hearing, they did not, and even though there was clear evidence of violations of FIU’s Student Code of Conduct, Tau Kappa Epsilon was found not guilty.

The attempt to keep the situation under wraps failed and led to the Panhellenic sororities coming together to form and sign a petition to abstain from any interaction with the members of Tau Kappa Epsilon. The Panhellenic council took a vow together to support and empower each other during this troubling time. If one sorority was affected, they all were. The Greek community at FIU came together, no matter the letters they wore across their chest. There was a thirst for unity, and that was demonstrated without a doubt. Together, the Greek community wanted to find a solution to this problem that stems further than a fraternity, but rape culture and just pure insensitivity. Students asked themselves, How are we as students supposed to feel comfortable in a community where we do not hold those guilty accountable for their actions? How could we sit in a classroom not knowing the type of people I surround myself with? FIU is a university where we are taught to stand up and speak not only for ourselves but also for each other and that’s what the FIU Senate has done for the victims affected by Tau Kappa Epsilon.

In an exclusive interview with Antonia Passalacqua, Senator of Arts, Science and Education as well as the Student Advocacy chair at Florida international University, she shares what led to her decision to write a resolution with the Student Government Association to bring stricter consequences towards those who commit any acts of sexual assaults. With the assistance of her committee, the resolution was passed unanimously. The resolution stated policies and statements from the FIU Constitution, FIU Student Handbook, Student Code of Conduct, Title Nine, in addition to other policies that were violated by the members of Tau Kappa Epsilon. The resolution passed by SGA highlights and names each and every violation made by Tau Kappa Epsilon and how they fail to uphold the values that Florida International University stands for. The resolution serves as an official statement from thr FIU student body and as as a call for stronger action to be taken. (To watch the exclusive interview with Antonia and her Vice Chair, click here)

Ultimately, whatever happens to this organization is in the hands of Student Code of Conduct and the University but If FIU finds them not guilty, what kind of message are they sending to the students? More importantly, what kind of message are they sending to the victims? Is it okay for men to comment, share and discuss photos and actions degrading and objectifying young adult women? Is it right for men to generate racial slurs and make disgusting comment towards the community? And lastly, is it right for these men to be let off the hook when it’s shown in previous years that FIU will not stand for this behavior? When will it be the right time to make the right decision?