This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Today, we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Although the university is closed, FIU has several events planned throughout the week to commemorate the life of one extraordinary individual whose bravery and leadership paved the way for the civil rights movement. Here are some of the upcoming events:

January 19th: MLK at the Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

January 19th: MLK Parade

The parade will be in Liberty City, Miami at 8p.m. and is open to the public. FIU students, faculty, and alumni will be meeting in Lot 5.

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

January 20th: MLK Evening with the engineers featuring: Ebony Daniels Sanon

The event is open to the public at FIU’s engineering campus and will begin at 6pm.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

January 21st: MLK Youth Forum and Peace Walk-Local Schools

This event will be held at the Wolfe University Center Ballroom at the BBC campus at 10:00 a.m. It is open to the public and will feature keynote speaker and performer, Shaun Derik.

“I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

January 21st: MLK Dinner

This event will be held at 7pm at MMC Graham Center Ballrooms. Space is limited.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

January 21st: “Of Ebony Embers & Langston Hughes”

Music theatre work honoring the lives of African American artists. Event is to be held at 6:30 p.m. in the Herbert and Nicole Wertheim Performing Arts Center at MMC. It is free and open to the public.

“No person has the right to rain on your dreams.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

January 22nd: MLK Evening with McKnight Fellows

This event will be held at the MMC campus in GC 243 and is free for Graduate Students

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?” – Martin Luther King Jr.

January 23rd: MLK Movie Night: Dear White People

The movie will have two showings at 5pm and at 8pm in GC 140. Seating is limited and an FIU ID is required.

“Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.” – Martin Luther King Jr. 

For more information on any of these events please contact FIU Campus Life at 305-348-2137 or visit http://mpas.fiu.edu/MLK_events.html

Natalie is currently a Sophomore at FIU studying Journalism with a Minor in Marketing. As a young girl she always knew she wanted to be a writer and she continues to pursue those dreams at FIU. On her spare time she is very involved on campus in several organizations as well as an internship with FIU's Athletics Department. Her professional goals are to become a staff writer or anchor woman and her life goals are to make a difference in people's lives.