This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

FIU Actor Makes It Big: Daniel Pino

In the past decade, many of us have grown up watching Law & Order: SVU, including me! Recently, Detective Olivia Benson, played by actress Mariska Hargitay, partnered with a new, and not to mention very handsome, detective. Little do many of you know, this new Detective, Nick Amaro, the one that you have all been swooning over since he appeared in that first episode of season 13, has actually walked these very buildings back in the 90’s as an FIU student. The FIU alum, now a big TV star, was actually one of those frat boys hanging around GC; his name is Daniel Pino. He was born and raised here in Miami, just minutes away from FIU!

This Sigma Phi Epsilon brother graduated FIU in 1996, then attended New York University’s Graduate Acting program at the Tisch School of the Arts, graduating in 2000. Today, he is no stranger when it comes to acting. He has made appearances in FX’s The Shield and CBS’ Cold Case. He even acted alongside the queen of pop, Madonna, in a play known as Up for Grabs. Today, he lives in Los Angeles with his wife Lily Pino (who is also an FIU alum!) and two sons, Luca and Julian, but he can’t seem to stay away from his first home here in Miami or from FIU! Just last weekend, along with his wife and kids, he served as the master of ceremony for our annual homecoming parade!

Living in a city where the arts aren’t highly praised, unlike in N.Y.C. or L.A, aspiring actors may feel discouraged when it comes to making it big in the industry. However, Daniel Pino is a great example of why you should follow your dreams despite your circumstances. While there may be limitations in Miami for students who wish to become actors, there aren’t any that can’t be surpassed.

Want to nominate our next Campus Celebrity? Find out how, here!

Mary Corbin is a Sophomore at Florida International University studying Broadcast Journalism and Political Science. She hopes to become a reporter in Washington, D.C. Mary is very involved on and off campus. She is a Lower Division senator for the Student Government Association, a Morale Captain for Dance Marathon, Public Relations Coordinator for the Miss FIU Pageant and a member of a Panhellenic organization. She is also very passionate about helping children with disabilities. Every year she volunteers at Brucie Ball Educational Center, a school for children with disabilities.
Laura Hernandez is the founder of Her Campus FIU.  She is currently a junior and is majoring in Political Science, Women's Studies and International Relations. She is also passionate about writing and communications. Laura thinks that Her Campus FIU is the perfect way to connect with collegiettes at FIU's commuter campus.