This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you visit the famous Cher’s twitter feed, you leave with several conclusions. One, she is a devoted and shameless liberal and anti-Trump advocate. Secondly, you sense that she is devoted to women empowerment and women’s rights. Well, except for her recent tweet she posted on January 22nd of 2018. She publicly shamed White House Press Secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders in saying, “Would someone please tell Sarah Huckabee Sanders to stop dressing like a sister wife.” She also added a picture in order for people to compare the clothing to Sarah’s clothing. Some might consider this as a harmless tweet, but when someone like Cher has her following and platform she should be more aware of what she is posting on social media. While Cher claims to be bringing women up with encouraging words, she was found to be bringing Huckabee down by attacking her choice of wardrobe.

Some did not agree with Cher’s tweet and decided to strike back with fashion criticism for Cher from the 2017 Billboard Awards. The outfit she wore on stage consisted of nothing but a sheer sequined bra and diamond cover up. Cher fought back by saying that her original tweet was “kinda mean, but it was funny. I wouldn’t have said it, but she’s so rude, so mean, so dismissive, and lies like Pinocchio on steroids.” As much as we may not agree with other people’s views and opinions, it does not give us the right to attack them on social media. Does this sound like a person who is an advocate for women empowerment and acceptance?

The 71-year-old singer has had an amazing career and is still holding on by being active on her social media accounts. I am no one to throw shade at my elders, but if we want to promote an agenda of female empowerment, we must be tolerant of all women regardless of political point of views. Expressing disgust at other women’s looks is three steps backwards in the one step forward towards female unity. Behind every successful woman is a tribe of other successful women who have her back. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case here.

Photo Sources: www.twitter.com