Culture > News

Fashion & Hollywood Help March For Our Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In light of the situation that has been occurring with the Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school shooting in Parkland, FL a lot is being said and done to ensure that another situation such as that one never occurs again. This time, many influential people and businesses are getting involved to show their support for these strong young individuals who are determined to create a change and the lead the way to a better and more peaceful future. 

On March 24, there will be a March for our lives rally that is being planned by the parkland, shooting survivors. The purpose of this rally being to immediately address the issue of control and propose to make a change in congress. The organization has also encouraged many communities across the country to organize their own rallies and marches for the cause. However, these survivors are not alone and have received support from many influential individuals and even fashion labels. 

Recently, the Italian fashion label Gucci, has announced that they will be donating $500,000 to the gun control rally that will be hosted on the 24th. In a statement given to WWD, Gucci exclaimed, ” we have all been directly or indirectly impacted by these senseless tragedies” with Gucci’s creative director also adding, “I am truly moved by the the courage of these students”. Along with the fashion label, celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey and Amal and George Clooney have also each donated $500,000 to the cause with the Clooney’s exclaiming that they will in fact be present at the rally taking place in Parkland. 

If you’re looking for a way to make a change and support this movement be sure to visit the march for our lives website and attend the rally taking place on March 24th!