This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The spotlight is not only on the Presidents these days as they give their speeches. The media is also taking the time to take a closer look at the first ladies, and their style! History’s most fashionable first ladies range from Jackie O to Michelle Obama. There is no doubt that being a style icon comes with the title of first lady. Fashion clearly crosses party lines when it comes to the numerous women who have called the white house their home. In honor of Presidents Day, here is a look at some of the trends brought forward by a few first ladies. You might be surprised at just how fashionable some first ladies really were.

Prior to Martha Washington becoming first lady, she was a part of a trading business that allowed her to become familiar with the most expensive English laces, and even her signature bonnets. When her husband George Washington became president the new first lady used her new wealth to upgrade her style. The first lady was said to have spent around $800 year on filling up her closet with the latest clothing and $150 on the best jewelry. The first lady may not have been over the top like some fashion icons today, but she did work hard to always look put together and presentable.

Another first lady who left a large impression not in politics, but in style was Frances Cleveland. Frances Cleveland was one of the earliest first ladies to actually get married in the White House. She was also one of the first women to make a daring decision when it came to the length of her hair. Frances Cleveland taught women all around America that having short hair was not only for the men. Cleveland cut her hair short while in office and even shaved the back of her neck. What once was considered a daring hair due has now become popular across America.   

Today the fashion has evolved from corsets and bonnets to bright colored dresses. Michelle Obama does not shy away from beautiful colors. Some of her most memorable outfits were her coral-red Maria Pinto dress and her lemon-grass sheath and matching coat by Isabel Toledo. One of Michelle Obama’s most talked about gowns was her inaugural gown. Michelle Obama brought into the spotlight a young designer by the name of Jason Wu who now has a multimillion-dollar company.