This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The Natural Hair Movement began in the 2000’s to encourage women of African descent to keep their natural curly hair texture. When you think of the natural hair movement, rarely do you imagine white women being a part of that group, yet the talk of white women joining the natural hair moment has been a source of controversy and debate.  While the topic of hair seems like a small issue, it’s actually a lot more than what it seems. With public outrage over school dress codes concerned over students’ hair to concerns over cultural appropriation, hair is a big deal.  A women’s hair says a lot about who she is and where she’s at in her life. Hair, as unimportant as it seems, matters.

Curly hair has been deemed unkempt, unruly, and messy even, while sleek and straight styles are preferred.  While average women who rock protective and natural hairstyles are often criticized for doing so, celebrities, such as Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner are praised in the fashion world for the saame styles but rarely criticized for cultural appropriation.

Not to mention, companies that advocate for the natural hair movement often showcase women with looser curls and still exclude women with type 4 curls. So it comes as no surprise that some women of color are adamantly against white women becoming a part of the movement. 

White women with curly and kinky hair can be seen as unique in a positive way, while women with a darker complexion may come off as unprofessional. Recently there are a few companies that include more diversity and cater to not only curly and kinky hair but even hair with looser curls. RizoCurls features products suitable for any curly hair type. But The truth is, white women have never faced the same discrimination as a women of African descent, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t still pressured to conform to societal standards.  If the natural hair movement was created to embrace diversity and embrace the hair that one is given, then white women who have naturally curly hair should be included, if that is their choice. 

A senior at Florida International University, Kaylin is currently majoring in Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Art. Aside from writing, she has a passion for pastry making, film photography, and reading. She can usually be found by the pool or beach reading a new adventure.