Everything You Need to Know About Rob Pattinson’s, ‘The Batman’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As the 2022 DC comic based film approaches theaters, ‘The Batman’ has fans going crazy as Robert Pattinson is set to star in the film alongside actress-model — Zoë Kravitz. Prior to taking on the role of Gotham’s most beloved superhero, the English actor appeared in ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire’ , ‘The Lighthouse’, and Netflix original, ‘The King’. However, many recognize Pattinson from acclaimed series, ‘Twilight’ where he played the role of captivating vampire, Edward Cullen.

Initially, several DC fans were doubtful of Pattinson’s casting given that he starred in the Twilight Saga. It wasn’t until the trailer was released that DC fans began to admire the actor’s transformation into one of the most iconic characters of all time, AKA “Batman”. As the cast continues to answer more and more of our questions during interviews and their press tour, few have found more admiration for the film. Here is everything you need to know before watching Rob Pattinson star in ‘The Batman’.

• The 2022 Batman film is NOT an origin story about Bruce Wayne

Though the former Batman films have focused on how the Gotham hero came to be, the 2022 film directed by Matt Reeves focuses on the crime that occurs throughout Gotham City. More specifically, it follows how Bruce Wayne encounters the villains of Gotham — Catwoman, Penguin, and the Riddler, as he finds himself in the middle of these crime scenes.

• “He is a Freak!”

Unlike the previous Batman(s) — played by Ben Affleck, George Clooney, and Christian Bale, the 2022 Batman character has more of an edgy vibe. In a recent GQ interview, Pattinson revealed that his agents found it interesting that he wanted to take up the role of Batman. “I thought you only wanted to play just total freaks all the time”. Pattinson laughed as he said that Batman “is a freak” — due to the reason that throughout the film Batman continues to experience grief and never truly heals from the traumatic events of his parent’s loss.

• The Riddler is at the center of ‘The Batman’ movie

Throughout the comic books, Batman appears to be a brilliant detective. Though previous Batman films have failed to focus on the dark knight’s crime solving abilities, the 2022 film is expected to center more around Batman’s investigative journey.

One of the main antagonists that appears throughout the film is Paul Dano’s, the Riddler — a riddle and puzzle obsessed criminal who terrorizes the politicians of Gotham City, especially Bruce Wayne. During a Fandango interview with the Batman cast, it is emphasized that this is the first time in over 25 years that the Riddler is at the center of the film.

• Selina Kyle is not Catwoman Yet

In this new installment of Batman’s cinematic world, Batman finds Selina Kyle (Zoë Kravitz character) after a set of clues lead him to her– the two later form an alliance although Wayne doubts her intentions since she is a thief. But as the two continue to spend more time working together, the more they find themselves forming a connection with one another… something that appears uncommon to both their characters as they both learned to survive life on their own.

• Pattison might continue to wear the Batman suit for a possible trilogy

Will ‘The Batman’ become a three part series? During a Fandango All Access interview, R-Patz revealed that he has spoke to director, Matt Reeves, about doing a trilogy — claiming it would be wonderful to do so as he [Rob Pattison] had so much fun during the process of transforming into Batman. In a GQ article titled, Is The Batman setting up a new Batman Cinematic Universe, Robert discusses potential ideas that both him and Reeves have brainstormed as they continue to hint a probable trilogy.

Samantha joined Her Campus in January 2022 and has continued as a writer. Based in Miami, Florida and is currently a Public Relations student at Florida International University. Favorite pastimes range from art and writing to music and traveling. Enjoys watching movies, going out, and watching sports games.