Esports: The Underdog of Collegiate Sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

When you’re in college, it can be nearly impossible to join a sports team since the majority are on a scholarship and plan to be athletes in their careers. It’s not meant for people who just want to network and team building within a sport, it can be life or death. But for less intense, more competitive gameplay, I recommend Esports. As someone who has been on my university’s Esports team on and off, and can confidently say it’s worth every second.. but what exactly is it?

Esports is competitive video gaming. There are usually two teams; varsity and junior varsity for each video game per university. These teammates form bonds and synergy with weeks of practice along with competing in tournaments and games that can earn cash prizes. And I think it is an amazing opportunity for the average person who wants to connect with people who have similar interests.

Don’t get it twisted, esports is open to people of all backgrounds. You don’t need to be a pro-FPS (first-person shooter) gamer to join an esports team. Personally, I’m on Florida International University’s Overwatch Blue team. AKA junior varsity. Our varsity has high-ranking top 500 players, while our junior varsity is more laid back as we participate in tournaments and scrimmages against other universities. As I said, there are so many opportunities for esports. Esports offers a social environment where players can interact with each other, form friendships, and share their experiences. This is especially important for gamers who may not have the opportunity to socialize in traditional settings.

Esports is a form of entertainment that has become increasingly popular in recent years. It offers an exciting and engaging experience for both players and spectators, with high-stakes matches and thrilling gameplay.

Of course, as with any activity, there are potential downsides to esports as well. For example, excessive screen time can have negative effects on physical health, and there are concerns about the potential for addiction or other harmful behaviors. However, overall, the benefits of esports are significant and can make it a positive force in the lives of many people.

I feel like along with the inclusive environment, there’s no excuse to not see what esports can do for you!

Ariana (she/her) is a Puerto Rican majoring in psychology with a minor in English. She is currently the social media director of Her Campus at Florida International University. Hoping to gain more experience throughout her college career, Ariana is an ambitious writer who is ready to take on whatever lies ahead!