Dua Lipa: The Artist Behind New Rules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

source

Dua Lipa’s song ‘New Rules’ is great and we should be talking about it more. Born and raised in England, by parents of Albanian descent, the 22 year old pop singer seems to have come out of nowhere and is killing it in 2017. She is on her first Tour this year, and it seems to be going great as she has managed to have a ‘sold out’ sign for more than a few of her venues. Her self titled album, Dua Lipa, was released June 2nd of this year by Warner Bros, and hit number 5 on the UK Charts. To top it off, her song ‘New Rules’ reached number 1 one several charts, such as: Belgium’s Ultratop 50, the Netherlands’ Dutch Top 40 and Single Top 100, Romania’s Airplay 100 and Media Forest, UK Singles and even made to the US Dance Club Songs on Billboard list. Basically, she is everywhere!

source

So, how does a young and new artist make such an astounding mark on the charts this quickly? By having a great team of course! ‘New Rules’ was written by three talented and experienced composers in the industry. The first contributor we will credit is Caroline Ailin, a Norwegian songwriter currently established in London. She was awarded “Breakthrough Artist of the Year” by the Norwegian Music Publisher Association in 2016 . Next we have Emily Warren, she has been talked about recently as the mysterious voice in The Chainsmokers new song “Paris”, and has worked with other artist such as Fifth Harmony and Charli XCX. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, we have Ian Kirkpatrick who not only helped write the song, but also produced it. Kirkpatrick has been in the industry for years and has managed to work with a variety of artist such as: Nick Jonas, Selena Gomez, Simple Plan and many more.

This amazing group of people, helped this beautiful new comer create the best product possible for a song on her first album debut. Dayna Evans of The Cut calls ‘New Rules’ a “breakup anthem”, while Melinda Newman of Billboard labeled it a “female’s-empowerment anthem”. And indeed it seems this is exactly what this song is about. The lyrics of the chorus are the following:

“One, don’t pick up the phone

You know he’s only calling ’cause he’s drunk and alone

Two, don’t let him in

You have to kick him out again

Three, don’t be his friend

You know you’re gonna wake up in his bed in the morning

And if you’re under him

You ain’t getting over him”

source

When talking about the song, Dua Lipa says, in the Behind the Scenes video for New Rules, “this is the breakup song I wish I had when I was breaking up with someone”. And we must say, we agree.This song describes a feeling we are all too familiar with after a breakup, it’s the push and pull. A lot of the times the only way to get through that funk is with the help of our girl friends. As Dua says in the behind the scenes video, this song is all about the idea of ‘unity’. This is beautifully portrayed in the video for this single, which to this date has over 700M views on Youtube. It was just released last July, and was filmed right here in Miami in The Confidante Hotel. The video was directed by David Scholfield and choreographed by Teresa “Toogie” Barcelo. Together, they made this video a success.

source

The attention to detail when telling the story of the song, through the color, the setting, and the movement are what really made this song and this artist top the charts this year. Dua Lipa is still on Tour and will be coming to the United States on February 2018. Make sure to keep an eye out for the girl that might just be the next generation’s Pop Princess.  

Follow her twitter, instagram and subscribe to her youtube channel!

cover photo source

Ms. Torres is a Creative Writing Mayor at Florida International University, she previously attended the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She not only speaks English but Spanish as well, and is currently learning French. Other than writing articles for Her Campus FIU (and previously HC UPR), Veronica has been published by a newspaper in Puerto Rico called "Claridad".
2017 FIU Her Campus president