Donald Trump Nominates Dean Alexander Acosta as Secretary of Labor.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

President Donald Trump has nominated FIU’s very own Dean Alexander Acosta to be the Secretary of Labor.

If approved by the Senate, the Cuban-American who has been the Dean of the Rafael Diaz Balart School of Law at FIU since 2009, will not only become the Secretary of Labor of the United Sates, but he will also be the first Hispanic member of Mr. Trump’s presidential cabinet. This position was originally given to Andrew Putzer, who pulled his nomination earlier this week after heavy criticism. For more details on that story, click here. 

Several of FIU’s faculty members had great things to say about the nominee.

“Alex Acosta is a thoughtful, conscientious American who is dedicated to excellence, integrity and public service. We are proud that he is the first Hispanic nominated to serve in President Trump’s cabinet.” – President Mark B. Rosenberg

“His nomination as labor secretary is a testament to his leadership, hard work and groundbreaking accomplishments in a rapidly changing world.” – Cesar L. Alvarez 

The entire FIU community has been taking over social media to congratulate Dean Acosta. We wish him the best of luck on this new chapter of his life and we would like to congratulate him once again on this nomination. It is a proud day to be an FIU panther. 

Currently a Senior at Florida International University studying English and Sociology. If she's not in class, you can probably find her running around campus with a cup of Trenta Black Tea Lemonade from Starbucks, trying to find the best place to study for the LSAT cause your girl is trying to head to Law School next year. Follow her around while she tries to balance school life, LSAT prep, friends, family, an endless amount of involvements and a committted relationship through her final year of undergrad! If you want a peek into her life, you can always take a peek at her Instagram!