This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Donald Trump Jr. and Vanessa Trump announced on Thursday, March 15, that they are separating. The news broke after the couple released a joint statement regarding their imminent divorce. 

“After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways,” the statement said. “We will always have tremendous respect for each other and our families. We have five beautiful children together and they remain our top priority. We ask for your privacy during this time.”

courtesy of: The New York Times

The president’s son and daughter-in-law have decided to file for divorce in the Manhattan Supreme Court. Vanessa has filed for an uncontested proceeding, which means she probably not fight for custody or assets. According to Page Six, legal experts are saying that they most likely signed a prenuptial agreement before their union. 

Michael Stutman, a divorce lawyer unaffiliated with the case, said, “Prenuptial agreements and confidentiality agreements are in the Trump dynasty DNA so I would be surprised if Donald Jr. went into the marriage completely naked.”

The couple was introduced by the president himself at a fashion show in 2003. The former model and Trump Jr. married in 2005 and went on to have five children: Donald Trump III, Kai Madison Trump, Chloe Sophia Trump, Tristan Milos Trump and Spencer Frederick Trump. 

courtesy of: Page Six

Though the announcement came as a surprise to some, many believe clues to their marital issues could be seen on their respective social media accounts in the months leading up to the split. While the couple have tweeted at or about each other in the past, they have not been doing so as frequently, or at all, in the past couple months. In fact, the last time Vanessa tweeted featuring Trump Jr. was in June of 2017. 

courtesy of: Twitter

According to CNN, the White House declined to comment on the reports and referred questions to the Trump Organization.

thumbnail photo courtesy of: Page Six