This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Underrepresentation in the workforce is a topic discussed widely. Whether the underrepresentation in question regards the lack of racial diversity in companies or the gender gap in many fields, it is an issue that requires a solution for the sake of progression. A great example of this issue can be reflected in the women in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields. Although women makeup about 50% of the college educated workforce, only 28% of them are in a STEM field. Of those 28%, 60% of the women are in social sciences, 48% are in life science, 26% are in Mathematics, and only 15% are in Engineering. If you think these statistics are low, you can imagine that colored women in STEM are much lower.

Nowadays, most schools and other programs are doing great jobs to encourage young girls to pursue any interest they have in STEM. However, a big reason as to why women do not take the STEM route in college is because of the lack of representation in the fields. Without the representation, women themselves will question their careers and many will feel intimidated, incapable, and ultimately discouraged of pursuing any STEM interests. For now, the best thing any woman pursuing a STEM career can do is to handle all the discouragement that may come with the journey so that underrepresentation and gender stigmas can slowly be broken. With that being said, how do you handle discouragement from the lack of women representation in the STEM Workforce?

Networking

There are many resources out there that you can really benefit from, whether there are from your institution, professors, or online. However, it’s important to point out that great resources can also come from networking.  Although women are underrepresented in the STEM Fields, it does not mean no woman is in that field. With that in mind, take advantage of those opportunities  to connect with different women that can provide important insight on your career, give advice, inspire, and encourage you to not give up. These women have gone through exactly what you are going through, so why not gain some knowledge on how to better handle the issue at hand? There are many different ways to network such as joining clubs and organizations, talking to professors, participating in research labs, and using networking platforms such as Linkedin and Handshake. There are several groups and organizations that focus on empowering women in STEM. Joining any of those groups can provide you with limitless resources that can benefit you and your career. In the end, a connection might end up in a mentoring relationship where you have a source of encouragement and guidance. 

Goal Setting

Setting goals and deadlines are a great way to keep yourself accountable and motivated throughout your career. Prioritizing different goals that relate to  your career is crucial in professional development. For this reason, different systems of goal setting have been created. A very popular system is known as the S.M.A.R.T Goal.  This method allows you to form individual goals with a simple rule. Your goal should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time Bound. What does this mean? A goal should be specific meaning it is clear cut and defined.  A vague goal won’t provide you with a specific direction, therefore will not encourage you to work for a specific achievement. It should also be Measurable- where it includes amounts, dates,  or measures any degree of success. Your goal must also be attainable, meaning it’s a reachable goal. Obviously, try to make goals that are not too easy and can challenge you, but making a goal that is simply out of reach may discourage you from  even trying. Relevance is crucial in goal setting. Make sure your goal is relevant to the direction of your career, education, job, or even professional development. Having aligned goals will help avoid inconsistencies that may not motivate you to achieve your goal. Lastly, time bound goals reference a reasonable deadline that must be placed to achieve your goal. Without a deadline, there won’t be an incentive to keep you on track with your goals. With every S.M.A.R.T Goal there should also be an explanation as to why you are setting that goal in that moment. At times when you are feeling discouraged, reading why you set that goal in the first place is a great self empowerment strategy to eliminate any self doubt.

Celebrate The Wins

This concept is key when staying motivated throughout your career. Any win, big or small, deserves a celebration whether it is rewarding yourself with a little dessert or giving yourself a day to relax, this tip can surely keep you energized to complete new and even more challenging tasks that being a woman in STEM entails.Don’t be afraid to talk about your achievements either.  Sharing your accomplishments with other women in STEM can also bring inspiration to them and serve as a source of motivation for them to continue working towards their own goals.  

That discouragement you may feel because of the lack of representation can be avoided for future generations.There is a short quote that says “ Empowered women empower women.” Be that woman and become the inspiration many will need to push forward. Be that woman that will break boundaries because eventually someone will do it. So why can’t that woman be you?

Hi everyone! My name is Mariana Montoya and I am a Biomedical Engineer major here at FIU. I love advocating for women in STEM and I am so excited I get to do just that on HerCampus.