Depressed? Get Help!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Although we tend to throw around the word “depressed” ever so lightly, depression is a very serious subject matter. Being sad after a bad breakup, loss of a loved one or stress from your hectic schedule, does not always result in true clinical depression. There is a big difference from feeling sad or down and actually being depressed. Many people suffer from depression due to genetics, abuse and conflict. Some symptoms of depression include:

• Fatigue
  • Overeating or loss of appetite
  • Feelings of guilt and worthlessness
  • Insomnia
  • Thoughts of self-harm and/or suicide

Signs of suicidal thoughts and attempts include:

• Always thinking or talking about death
  • Loss of interest in things once cared about
  • Saying one is unwanted or helpless
  • Clinical depression
  • Having a “death wish”
  • Purposely putting one in harmful situations
  • Talking about suicide

If you or anyone you know may be suffering from depression, please speak up. Call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) or other suicide prevention hotlines for more information. Don’t ignore the signs until it is too late. Your life and well-being is way too important to be destroyed by mental illness. Talk to your family, friends and loved one about your problems and feelings. Immediately seek medical/psychological help if you suffer from the symptoms listed. Visit a health center and victim advocacy center for counseling. No matter how rough life gets, always stay positive. Be positive and share positivity to the world! You never know whose life you can change with just a smile.

Ashley is a junior at Florida International University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Social Media & E-Marketing Analytics. Born and raised in Miami to Trinidadian parents, Ashley comes from a diverse background that cultivated her love for cultural diversity. She loves blogging, entertainment, music and travelling. Ashley aspires to become the editor-in-chief of her own online publication in the future. Check out Ashley's entertainment and lifestyle blog at www.callmemissandrews.com ! Follow her on twitter: @callmemsandrews and on Instagram: @callmemissandrews