nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

From Cry Baby to Boss Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Chances are if you’ve ever hurt my feelings in any way, I’ve probably thought about it my entire day and gotten home to burst a fountain of tears… and no, I won’t even pretend I can blame that time of the month for my emotional instability (as much as I’d like to!) To put it simply, I’m a cry baby. My feelings are as fragile as my hair after it’s freshly dyed.

I never really saw that as a bad quality until it started affecting my everyday life. If you tear up after a long day of attending customers with crappy attitudes, it’s likely that your co-workers will label you as weak. If you’re stressed and crying over school assignments, your peers will label you as dramatic. And in a way… it’s kind of true, to an extent that is. Sometimes you do need to let it out, but in a dog-eat-dog world, it’s also important you have thick skin. Here’s some sure ways to give up your cry baby days and start your boss lady ways:

It’s actually not that deep

Don’t take it personal! Everyone has their own opinion and rightfully so. If someone doesn’t like your outfit, your work, or even a decision you make… that’s okay. The world may actually better place if we could coexist and accept the views of others. Take criticism as you do tequila, with grains of salt.

Two words: Own It

Take responsibility for yourself. Boss ladies don’t hide behind others, even when they may have made a mistake, right? A true boss lady owns up to her decisions and remains confident even in the most stressful of situations.

Don’t be a stepping matt

If you let someone walk all over you one time, they will do it again… and again. I have my last heartbreak to thank for that life lesson! Point is, don’t ever let your sensitivity allow others to manipulate you into doing something you don’t believe in.

Remain cool as a cucumber

If you start to feel your blood boiling, eyes watering and breath shivering, take a long, deep breath. I came across this concept I love the other day: if it won’t matter in five months, don’t stress it for more than five minutes. Translation: if you won’t remember the issue in the future, it’s not worth your tears in the present.

Your inner boss lady is always within you.

Let her out, girl.