This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Loss. An idea not easily comprehended by many and one that becomes harder to understand as you realize loss is one of the only things that has no solution. Dealing with loss is also another concept that becomes very hard to understand and when thought about too in depth can seem to almost drive you crazy.

They say that there are many steps to dealing with loss. You’ve heard them all whether it’s between jokes or throughout conversations. People talk about denial, anger, and acceptance but never how to confront each of these things head on.

Of course the thought of losing someone is not one that many will talk about due to the fact that death is so final. How you react will also differ from person to person because no two relationships with a person will ever be exactly the same. How you loved someone, how they made you feel and how their absence will have an effect on your life.

As someone who is learning how to cope with loss themselves, I’ve read several articles to try and grasp not only what I’m feeling but what others have felt to make sure I’m not alone. The most important thing I’ve read which I feel our loved ones would appreciate is to definitely celebrate their life and spread positivity about who they were, to remember them in the good times and not in the bad.

A big thing to remember is that it’s okay to feel sad and definitely normal. It’s okay to question why and it’s okay to be angry but the biggest thing to remember is that your loved one wants you to live life gloriously and to know that there is a future beyond these unbearably hard moments.

Talking about the loss you’ve experienced with others and wrapping your head around your own thoughts also helps with coping with loss. Live in honor of them and remember that one day you’ll meet again.