This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It has been nine years since the movie “Gone Girl” has come out, which means it has also been nine years since the iconic “Cool Girl” monologue.

If you are unfamiliar with this transformative monologue, I urge you to check it out, immediately!

The “Cool Girl” monologue essentially describes men’s expectations for women within a society. Women are expected to be hot, smart, down for anything, and never display any sort of negative emotion, such as anger. But the reality is that is never the case, no one can be a “cool girl” or at least not for long. In the movie, the woman describes this as an act or facade that she has been willing to put on for a man she loves, and married, only to find out that he had been cheating on her with a younger “cool girl.”

I think this is the case for many, especially young women in relationships with men. We often find ourselves hiding our feelings or becoming a version of ourselves that is more “chill,” only to be met with hostility and questioning when we respond to situations that require anger or doubt.

As silly as it may be to some, this monologue has helped me navigate relationships with men; I find myself looking within to make sure I am not playing the part of a person that I am definitely not. I, like most women, are not just “cool” like men describe themselves; we are people with varied interests and emotions.

It has gotten to the point where every time a man says or does something disappointing or mildly questionable, the monologue automatically starts playing in my head.

Angel is a junior majoring in Political Science at Florida International University. After she graduates, she hopes to attend law school, later practicing criminal law. She enjoys politics, astrology, and the most random Netflix shows.