Christmas Movies For The Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Some call me crazy, some call me extra, I say I’m just jolly. I am for sure that girl who starts listening to Christmas music in August, has way too many ugly sweaters, and has seen every Christmas movie in the book. Something about the catchy tunes, sappy story lines, and good cheer has me hooked on these movies every year. I’ve listed the top four Christmas movies that you must see to help get you in the holiday spirit! So put those cookies in the oven, get out your cozy target Christmas socks and get ready to watch some classics.  

1) Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas

I always love to start my Christmas binge watching with this gem. Jim Carrey’s performance of the Grinch really fits the exact image one thinks of when reading the book. You can’t go wrong with a Dr. Seuss narrated movie. Whoville is really any Christmas lovers dream home! A fun fact about this film is that Jim Carrey actually had to receive tips from a Navy Seal on torture resistance techniques, because the prosthetic makeup he had to wear was that unbearable.  

2) Elf:  

In 2003, the world was blessed with probably the funniest Christmas movies of all time. From the North Pole to New York, we watch as Buddy slowly begins to find himself in the big city. This movie not only makes us laugh with Christmas cheer but it also reminds us of the importance of being on Santa’s nice list and being good to everyone all year round! Something  you might not have known, Will Ferrell actually had a bunch of health problems after filming due to the amount of sugar he consumed.  

3) The Polar Express:  

THIS IS A MUST WATCH. There is no other movie that will have you feeling more jolly than this one. The Polar Express not only makes all of your dreams of what the north pole looks like come true, but it will keep you in the Christmas spirit no matter what time of the year it is. The sounds of the train in the movie are actual recordings of real trains. This movie cannot be any more perfect.  

4) A Charlie Brown Christmas:  

A classic that will leave you with a story of the true meaning of Christmas. This sweet story reminds us that there is much more to Christmas than the presents, the parties, and the music. A little fun fact about this movie is that most of the children’s voices in the film were recorded from actual children that lived in director Bill Melendez’s neighborhood.  

I hope that these movies bring you cheer as much as they do to me!  

Xoxo,  

Gaby V.