This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

To all those who are insanely stressed out about choosing what you want to do for the rest of your life, it’s okay I hear you. The tremendous amount of pressure put onto teenagers can be extremely overwhelming, especially telling a 17-year old that they have just a few months to figure everything out and know what they want to do for the rest of their life. But I’m here to let you know that it’s okay because you’ll have plenty of time to spread your wings in college.

Usually, all colleges allow you to be an exploratory major, which is self-explanatory. You can take different courses in subjects you may like and determine if that’s something you’re really passionate about. However, don’t think that you can remain in exploratory forever. Normally, you should only be exploratory for a maximum of two semesters, any more than that and you could delay yourself from graduation.

When in doubt, explore your campus! Explore different clubs and after-school activities, read a few books and seriously research what you may want to study for the next four years. Try to stay away from something you know is not true to yourself—like if your family pressures you to be a lawyer or a doctor and you know deep down that’s not what you want to do, then don’t do it! You go to college for yourself and it can be hard to separate from those family values, but always try to do whatever is in your best interest, not anyone else’s.

The first year or so is your UCC/Gordon Rule classes, basically an extension of high school where you take college algebra/reading/science. Use this time wisely by exploring opportunities and possibly seeking out a peer mentor. Peer mentors are a great way to basically have a big brother/sister on campus. Peer mentors can guide and help you, even offering advice so you don’t feel all alone. College is a big change, and the transition from teenhood to adulthood can be difficult and overwhelming, so know that you’re never alone.

When it boils down to you choosing a major, understand that swapping majors in the middle of the year is also normal and okay. At least 80% of college students change their major at least once, so if you decide halfway through that you hate what you’re doing, fret not! Get in touch with your advisor and swap to what you really want to do.

The whole point of college is growth and change. Learning who you really are and who you want to become. Understanding that life is always changing and growing into your skin is valuable to know, and there are millions of people going through the same struggle and the same transition across the nation and around the world.

Ariana (she/her) is a Puerto Rican majoring in psychology with a minor in English. She is currently the social media director of Her Campus at Florida International University. Hoping to gain more experience throughout her college career, Ariana is an ambitious writer who is ready to take on whatever lies ahead!